PDA

View Full Version : Urban Myths

raym
18-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Hi, as a mech engineer, I think i may know something about energy and cooling.
I have a single door upright fridge. It has a freezer box at the top, with about 1 inch space all around the box, and a plastic insulated door.
My wife is of the firm belief that as soon as half an inch of ice forms on the exterior of the freezer box coils, that I should do a manual defrost. This means unloading the contents of the ice box and defrosting with a pan of hot water.

But my logic is that the ice forming around the box acts as an insulator, for the cold in the box - and means the compressor will not need to work as much to maintain the freezing temp.
Without the insulating layer, cold will be lost at a greater rate to the "warm" fridge environment. I say the inch gap is designed to freeze solid for this reason. The ice adds a cold store also.

Anyone support my idea over my nagging wifes urban myth?:)
Ray

ultralo1
18-05-2007, 03:38 AM
As a mech engineer, I think i may know something about energy and cooling.

Now there is an urban myth if I ever heard one
:p :p

Just having fun. From "just a tech" point of view

chillin out
18-05-2007, 10:49 AM
But my logic is that the ice forming around the box acts as an insulator,
Correct..

But the wrong way round. The idea is to keep the product frozen at the right temperature not the freezing plates so the comp runs less.

Think of an igloo, very cold outside (where the evaporator is), relatively warm inside (where your food is).

Your wife is right.... but then she should be if you have her properly tied up in the kitchen where all women belong....lol

Chillin:) :)

jinxycat
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
stick your thermometer in with the ice then after a defrost, and dont tell the misses, if your theory looks wrong you wont have to let her know:D

750 Valve
05-12-2007, 11:09 AM
surely a mech engineer can afford a frost free fridge...

If a lowly fridgey can make a buck surely you big boys have it covered