PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Take on XForces Lad - UK-Essex Area

4Qman
15-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Hello and firstly what a great community. :) I hope this is in the correct topic and would be grateful if a Mod could relocate if its not.:p

Ok a little about me, I have just left the Royal Marines and wish to take a step into a career in which i would enjoy. Air conditioning is it ;)

I haven't any training however for the past year my hobby has been making Phase coolers for my friends which cool the CPU on PC's.
I have just progressed onto a cascade cooler in which the 1st stage runs R507a and 2nd stage Ethylene. which after a volumetric efficiency of 0.3 - 0.5 it should have a real capacity of between 215w and 358w at -100oC.:D

Anyway thats just a little of what i have been up to, If anyone could take me on or recommend me to a colleague i would be more than grateful.

"Oh and i did plan to do a 10day air conditioning course with my resettlement money from the Forces, However it cant be spent on anything below a NVQ3" :(.

4Qman
15-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I would post Pics however it has that 15day rule on this forum :cool:

Josip
15-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi, 4Qman :)

Welcome to RE forums... the first one is New to RE

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72
but here you are at door next to ;)

Hello and firstly what a great community. :) I hope this is in the correct topic and would be grateful if a Mod could relocate if its not.:p

Ok a little about me, I have just left the Royal Marines and wish to take a step into a career in which i would enjoy. Air conditioning is it ;)

I haven't any training however for the past year my hobby has been making Phase coolers for my friends which cool the CPU on PC's.
I have just progressed onto a cascade cooler in which the 1st stage runs R507a and 2nd stage Ethylene. which after a volumetric efficiency of 0.3 - 0.5 it should have a real capacity of between 215w and 358w at -100oC.:D

Anyway thats just a little of what i have been up to, If anyone could take me on or recommend me to a colleague i would be more than grateful.

"Oh and i did plan to do a 10day air conditioning course with my resettlement money from the Forces, However it cant be spent on anything below a NVQ3" :(.

Some guys will come with good suggestion where&how to use your money;)

Best regards, Josip :)

4Qman
15-05-2007, 06:27 PM
The money is £1000 and it can be spent on courses that are listed on the scheme. Which are NVQ3 equivalent.:cool:

Trouble is finding a course on the scheme thats worth doing that makes the most of the 1time payment of up to £1000.

ie a £100 course takes my £1000 credit. :o

Thanks again dude.

Josip
15-05-2007, 06:34 PM

I would post Pics however it has that 15day rule on this forum :cool:

I think it is only 15 posts rule and not 15 days ;) or I miss some new rules:confused:

4Qman
15-05-2007, 07:52 PM

I think it is only 15 posts rule and not 15 days ;) or I miss some new rules:confused:

Sorry mate i worded it wrong. 15 posts it is. Nearly there :D

taz24
15-05-2007, 08:53 PM

I'd advise you to look at his first post Josip.
Ex Royal Marine
If he says its 15 days then its 15 days :D

Cheers taz.

taz24
15-05-2007, 09:00 PM

You could get a level III if you could prove to a collage that you have enough experience or cross over quals to skip the level II.
If you have a level II in other engineering subjects you may be able to go straight to level III.
If you have no prior achievements then you will need to do level II.

All the best taz.

Andy P
15-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi 4Qman,

If you contact ***PM USER WITH DETAILS*** he would be happy to meet you (also ex-forces btw). Its not straight air-con work, but much more interesting :) Also training would be available

cheers

Andy P

Josip
15-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi, Taz24 :)

I'd advise you to look at his first post Josip.
Ex Royal Marine
If he says its 15 days then its 15 days :D

Cheers taz.

:confused::eek:, but you said that, I must be more careful next time;)

Iug1964
16-05-2007, 12:47 AM
HI,
I am also Xforces and I completed a 2 week course at "Techtrain" in doncaster. This covered Refrigeration theory, basic electrics, Split systems, (You even Fit one) lots of practical on a working refrigerator. Filter Cx, Pressure checking, Recovering Refrigerant etc etc. With it I did the 16th Edition Electrical Theory (A lot of finding info in 2 manuals that you practise so the exam was not too bad) This is a Level 3 so the whole course comes under Level 3. You get CIB ID REFRIGERATION and C&G Certificates. I used both my £534 and the ELC of £1000 on this but it was very good.

Ian (Ex Raf off to OZ Perth in 53days :) and I still need a job!!! Hint !!! )

4Qman
16-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi 4Qman,

If you contact he would be happy to meet you (also ex-forces btw). Its not straight air-con work, but much more interesting :) Also training would be available

cheers

Andy P

Andy what can i say apart from i am gobsmaked and indeed very grateful. However i am in Essex area dude. I noticed your from Scotland :o I'm not at the point of running away from my bird yet, YET i add carefully.hehe Unless Essex area as well?

4Qman
16-05-2007, 10:36 PM
HI,
I am also Xforces and I completed a 2 week course at "Techtrain" in doncaster. This covered Refrigeration theory, basic electrics, Split systems, (You even Fit one) lots of practical on a working refrigerator. Filter Cx, Pressure checking, Recovering Refrigerant etc etc. With it I did the 16th Edition Electrical Theory (A lot of finding info in 2 manuals that you practise so the exam was not too bad) This is a Level 3 so the whole course comes under Level 3. You get CIB ID REFRIGERATION and C&G Certificates. I used both my £534 and the ELC of £1000 on this but it was very good.

Ian (Ex Raf off to OZ Perth in 53days :) and I still need a job!!! Hint !!! )

Hi Ian. yes i have seen the company in the magazine i received when i left listing the courses. Emm. Problem is mate i tried to get on the 9day Course "think its the same one" and my X base told me they wont let me do the air conditioning courses As people in the past had been having the air conditioning and electrical course merged to make it level 3. :p

This make sense to you dude.?

4Qman
16-05-2007, 10:42 PM
You could get a level III if you could prove to a collage that you have enough experience or cross over quals to skip the level II.
If you have a level II in other engineering subjects you may be able to go straight to level III.
If you have no prior achievements then you will need to do level II.

All the best taz.

Emm see the problem is i don't have any experience with air conditioning as a trade. All i know is what i have learned from the Internet and from practice :cool: So level 2 which is a 9 day introduction and safe handling course would be perfect.
To be honest i would pay the £1200 to do the course but i would sooner a company invest in my learning. "To put it nice"

Oh and don't worry they took my rifle back when i left :(

Oh 1 more post and i can get some pics up of my project :D

4Qman
16-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Ok i got my 15 posts and have started a thread here with my latest project.

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=67363#post67363

Post there regards your thoughts please.

Oh and thanks again to all you who have posted and been so kind. Really appreciated:).

taz24
17-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh and thanks again to all you who have posted and been so kind. Really appreciated:).

There are companies that offer specific tailor made 5, 7 and 10 day courses that are aimed at the forces for re training.
The forces pay all the fees and the quals at the end are gas handle, pipework brazing, and a resonable understanding of refrigeration / air conditioning.
I know of three but they are in the Yorkshire area so I do not know how you feel about lodgin away for a few nights.
These must be classed as level three because thy are aimed at the forces.

Cheers taz.

4Qman
18-05-2007, 05:46 AM
There are companies that offer specific tailor made 5, 7 and 10 day courses that are aimed at the forces for re training.
The forces pay all the fees and the quals at the end are gas handle, pipework brazing, and a resonable understanding of refrigeration / air conditioning.
I know of three but they are in the Yorkshire area so I do not know how you feel about lodgin away for a few nights.
These must be classed as level three because thy are aimed at the forces.

Cheers taz.
They aint mate, they are level 2 :rolleyes: I have tryed to enlist on them but i cant due to level 2 only.

chillin out
18-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Andy what can i say apart from i am gobsmaked and indeed very grateful. However i am in Essex area dude. I noticed your from Scotland :o I'm not at the point of running away from my bird yet, YET i add carefully.hehe Unless Essex area as well?
Take a look at the area code, it's for an Oxfordshire number.

Star refrigeration are all over UK (http://www.star-ref.co.uk/)

Chillin:) :)

4Qman
18-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Take a look at the area code, it's for an Oxfordshire number.

Star refrigeration are all over UK (http://www.star-ref.co.uk/)

Chillin:) :)

Will call Monday, than you a bunch. Shall i just say i got the number from you mate.:o

Tony
21-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Hello 4Qman,

HI,

Talk to Techtrain and they will sort it out so you can use your level 3 money and resettlement money, correctly and within the rules.

4Qman
21-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello 4Qman,

Talk to Techtrain and they will sort it out so you can use your level 3 money and resettlement money, correctly and within the rules.

I will call tomorrow and discuss my options. Will let you know how it goes. :)

DVaider
22-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi,4QMan. I want to ask you:for which purpose did you design your cascade machine? And why did you chose R507a?

4Qman
23-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi,4QMan. I want to ask you:for which purpose did you design your cascade machine? And why did you chose R507a?

Its designed to cool a Quad core CPU which generates around 250w+.

I choose R507a as its a little better than R404a and its the best my TEV is rated for :D

DVaider
24-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Its designed to cool a Quad core CPU which generates around 250w+.

I choose R507a as its a little better than R404a and its the best my TEV is rated for :D

Hi,4Qman. For which temperature level (temperature of evaporation and condensation of R507a) your machine has been designed? I mean you may choose better and cheaper refrigerant instead R507a azeotrope.