PDA

View Full Version : Structural columns in the cold stores

smpsmp45
14-05-2007, 01:18 PM
One of our projects has a RCC structure inside the cold store walls ( -20 Deg C). The Structure shall have 3 tier storage system. Since the Columns of these structure are going below, the client is looking for insulation below the column footings. We have seen in Cold Store Hand books that wood is recommended. Does any one knows any good material & methodology of installin it below the colmn footings.

US Iceman
15-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Even if marine grade wood is used it can still deteriorate. The columns have to have a good thermal break.

I have not used this, but I think ultra-high molecular weight plastic would provide a substantial thermal break and be capable of supporting a good static load.

I would be interested to hear from others also, what they have used or seen or have experience with.

smpsmp45
17-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Our Principal have recommended to use Foam Glass or IRON WOOD with floor heaters at the bottom. We are collecting more details on that & shall be posted here later.

US Iceman
17-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I had forgotten about foam glass being used for this. Iron wood is one I did not think of.

I think the plastics should be investigated for this purpose. Some of these materials are very fascinating.

bruceboldy
17-05-2007, 04:37 PM
When I was involved in cold storage construction we used an oak block sized for the base plate that had predrilled holes for the anchor bolts. I know of several local jobs that are over 25 years old with not structural problem. I makes a secure and excellent thermal break.

As I recall the block was approx 6 in thick. we of course did a vapor barrier under the block and the sub slab.

US Iceman
18-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Here is some additional information. Offered only as a resource and not a recommendation.:)

http://www.shadco.com/

Peter_1
19-05-2007, 07:37 AM
We've done once a big freezer in the past (50 x 30 x 11 m) and the columns were supported by meranti like blocks.
Under these blocks was concrete and in this concrete we had to install a heating system (glycol tubes)
Will foamglass have enough density or is it hard enough to widthstand the pressure of this column?

smpsmp45
31-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Even we came across Hard wood hardwood such as azorbe, & has been used in few cases.

Yes instead of Glycol system, Heaters are recommended for heating below columns.

We are in the process of making final drawings & try Sedn those to this forum

smpsmp45
31-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Even the site suggested is good enough to convince our client. We know that in USA they are building cold stores with structure inside/ insulated panels outside design & have to use similar wooden members for column footings.

US Iceman
26-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Here is a link I just found that provides some information on insulating blocks for column supports.

http://www.generalplastics.com/products/product_detail.php?pid=18&

gwapa
06-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi smpsmp45
Please see some referencial details in Bally Hand Book
They use foam glass. But you could use Polyuretane High Density too.
The most important thing is How Do It.
I use Poluretane HD in the suport of very low temperture tanks
http://www.bmil.com/pdf_files/Ref%20Buildings.pdf

Andy
06-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Guys:)

you could box the beams with insulated panels, right down to the foundation , cutting the metal off below the floor as a thermal break. Also foaming the beam for extra insulation.

Kind Regards Andy D:)