PDA

View Full Version : air con not responding until power reset

andyh
08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I come across calls every now and then to air conditioning systems (no particular make) that do not respond to any setting modes.
When i switch the supply isolator off for a few seconds then back on again the sytem responds and operates perfectly.
I assume this can be down to a temporary corrupted power supply/electrical spike that affects the pcb/s?

Has anyone experienced this type of fault and if so do you know why?

Many thanks Andy!

Brian_UK
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Common problem I think Andy.

I put it down to Bill Gates having written the code for the on board software running the damn things ;)

NoNickName
09-03-2007, 10:26 AM
It's called watch dog. When it operates correctly, the watch dog resets the uP. If not, the software hangs forever.
I would perform a power line test analysis with an oscilloscope.

slingblade
09-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I would perform a power line test analysis with an oscilloscope

Good idea.
As luck would have it, i have 3 of those in the boot of my car for just such an occasion.:rolleyes: :p :D

The Viking
09-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Hang on,

By turning the power off you will, on most systems, reset any and all fault-codes.

So before you turn the power off, check LEDs and controllers for indication of errors......

Just a thought.

NoNickName
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Good idea.
As luck would have it, i have 3 of those in the boot of my car for just such an occasion.:rolleyes: :p :D

It may look pompous, but I bought it from the ebay for 280 euro and it's really very useful to check fast events like spikes or to measure LRA.
I just returned a 120 ton compressor to the producer who claimed 470A LRA PWS, while really it pulls 630A