PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use quick-disconnects?

kengineering
28-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I have a client that wants to increase the merchandise area of a self contained merchadise cooler I build for his stores. By moving the condensing unit to the top I will be able to increase the sales area by about 20% which pleases him. Moving this unit in one piece is not possible mostly due to the height of doorways trucks ect. I could then ship the top section separately solving the doorway / trucking issue. My question is does anyone have experience with quick disconnects? pros cons availability?
Thanks, Ken

Dan
01-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Barker uses quick connects for their floral cases. I just removed a leaking one on a case 5 years old. I think they are viable, but also a potential leak problem. But then, you just solder up the copper and remove the fitting. They precharge the unit or the tubing (I think) and use a piercing connection like many residential A/C units.

Quality
01-03-2007, 08:13 AM
I myself removed a number of hansen coupling type connectors from the refrigerator on the AWACS Aircraft When we carried out a retro fit on the units due the fact that they caused nothing but problems with small leaks right from day 1

Andy
01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi Kenengineer:)

what about some flexible hoses, less likely to leak. Leave them long;)

Kind Regards Andy:)

ron_of_orange
28-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi,
I'm considering using Q-disc's along w/ Flexible Stainless Steel hoses similar to those used for vibration damping. The Snap-tite series EA appear to be adequate for both vacuum and medium pressure application.ref: snap-titequickdisconnects.com. This application would be for a small split air hvac w/ a heat pump valving system using R22. All feeedback is welcomed.
thk's

ron 12/28/2009 3:35pst

Magoo
29-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Quick dis-connects and flexibles are a good idea, but oversize them to reduce pressure drop losses.
magoo

lowcool
29-12-2009, 02:34 AM
why not design a cassette or drop in type unit.

ron_of_orange
04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
hi lowcool...

I'm not familiar with your concept...
thk's
Hi magoo...
Yes, that was basically what I had in mine as well ie, "oversized"
==========================
ron_of_orange 04/01/2010 1:29pst

lowcool
05-01-2010, 03:37 AM
gday ron
im refering to a built up packaged unit that can be removed,unless your locating the condensing unit elsewhere.
no different than a drop in unit for a coolroom etc.
my avatar was once a drop in unit(some may also call it a plug)so i relocated the condensing unit elsewhere

whiteair
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
We used quick couplings on our fleet of portable a/c units so we could put the condensing unit half outside, they were fine. Very occasionally one leaked on separation, a clout with a hammer to seal the ball valve usually did the trick.

Colin G
09-01-2010, 11:48 PM
supahose? readily available offthe shelve?

ron_of_orange
25-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Many thanks to all responses since my last post.

After several weeks of emails and Internet searchs Parker (parker-hannifin) is the winner at least here in the USA. The couplings provided by Parker allow the user to solder or braze the coupling to the tubing. They have a good catalog with an abundant selection. They have flanges which allow for mounting the fixed portion where you want it. For me that's great. Now comes the flexible hose. I will most likely use the anti-vibration style made from copper or stainless-steel with a woven outer jacket. My aim is to fabricate a pre-charged line set. The line-set will allow me to place two evaporators upstairs and a single condenser down stairs. Any feed back/suggestions are welcomed.
ron_of_orange Apr.25,2010

image of Parker catalog front cover...sorry no URL allowed due to my lake of postings...but you can go to Parker.com and type in Coupling-OEM - Cat. OEM-1

file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/ron/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/ron/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png