PDA

View Full Version : Line tap !

stevo
20-10-2006, 06:49 AM
I have discovered a line tap valve fitted to a tev equalizer line operating on R22, as we do not use these, what sort of pressures can they take ? Customer could not say why or when it was fitted !! :)

Argus
20-10-2006, 09:54 AM

If it’s on the equalising line it was almost certainly been fitted to capture the outlet pressure of the evaporator so that the superheat could be calculated exactly.

These things were made by Watsco and others, so you’ll have to check the pressure limits with them.

They are an invaluable tool for doing precisely what I’ve described for diagnostic purposes if the thing was going to be removed. Originally they were aimed at the domestic market as a way of checking pressures and getting gas into small fridges without losing the charge.

Despite what manufacturers say I would personally never leave one in place permanently because the line tap part itself and the rubber seal is a certain source of leaks in time.

These were never intended to be a permanent fitting, recommend you remove it and repair the pipe.

chillin out
20-10-2006, 07:45 PM
I have seen line tap valves on many systems, from small app's to heavy comercial. To be honest I very rarlely find them leaking, they can withstand most pressures and can last a long time without detereating.

The LTV was most likely put there to add gas to the system if the cond unit is on the roof or somewhere inaccessible.
So long as it is not leaking then you might as well leave it alone.

Chillin:) :)

taz24
21-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I have seen line tap valves on many systems, from small app's to heavy comercial. To be honest I very rarlely find them leaking, they can withstand most pressures and can last a long time without detereating.

The LTV was most likely put there to add gas to the system if the cond unit is on the roof or somewhere inaccessible.
So long as it is not leaking then you might as well leave it alone.

Chillin:) :)

I agree. Line tap valves like watsco rely on the screwed pierce pin to seal the pipe. In my experience they are very reliable.

Cheers taz.