PDA

View Full Version : water chillers

ric
22-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I think this might sound funny but i was woundering which is the best way to tell if a evaperature on a water chiller is faulty.eg how much water pressure should you lose from leaving the evap .:

winfred.dela
23-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Hi Ric. Your question is not funny, its a good one.

The dPressure between the chiller in/out @ water side will only tell one thing. You must also have a dTemperature for water side in/out. Another thing to consider is the refrigerant side: pressures, superheats, etc.

Armed with the latest data of the above and comparing it with previous logs will tell you if the evaporator needs cleaning or whatever.

Your question: best way to tell if evaporator is faulty?
My Answer:There will be no best way because there are a lot of evaporator configuration: Brazed Plate (semi welded/brazed), shell & tube, falling film, bare pipe, etc. . etc. . .

Hope this somewhat give you a general idea.
If you can give a specific data & condition of your chiller, we can give at least a specific answer.

NoNickName
23-09-2006, 10:05 AM
30/50kPa. If more, then the delta T at full capacity is expected to be higher than 5°C.
Otherwise ok.

joel
13-10-2006, 09:13 AM
hi
im also new here
evaporator performance will depend to:

considering design is good enough,

- evaporator approach
-evaporator/cooler water flow
-superheat

if u will met your requiremnts,
it will give proper capacity as per design..

hope it will help

regads

mike3068
20-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi
I'm Mike.
Since we are talking about chilled water chillers, I'm having several leaking chiller tubes recently. What could be the possible causes.
Freezing of tube could be one but what symptoms or log readings can manifest this.

PORKYPIG
20-10-2006, 09:50 PM
yep...ur question is certainly not funny...
we recently had a problem with one of our water chillers..Both carrier compressors were constantly shuting down due to low suction pressure.
First indications where that (1). short of *****, (2) TEV faulty or (3) faulty controls.....

What i discovered quite by accident was that the water in pressure was 9,4 bar and he pressure leaving was 7,2 bar... what was actually happening was that the cooler was blocked...due to our bad water quality.... the evaporator was freezing up due to the slow flow of water through it...

joel
27-10-2006, 02:14 PM
re: leaks at cooler tubes

hi...

possible reasons...

1. the way of swabbing or cleaning the cooler tubes
- type of brush
- chemal type, dilution and lenght of treatment
- frequency of swabbing
- type of motor and speed if , using mechanical.

2. the age of the unit.

3. water treatment
- chemical type and dilution

4.freeze up

thnkzz