PDA

View Full Version : Working of Solenoid Valve

Mukesh
18-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi,
Please any body can expain me the purpose of Solenoid valve and the function of the coil attached with the valve
thx..

wizzer
18-09-2006, 04:28 PM
hi Mukesh in simple language it is an electrical hand valve either open or closed.The coil produces a magnetic field around the valve stem causing the plunger to rise or fall depending on the application.

wizzer

Brian_UK
18-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi,
Please any body can expain me the purpose of Solenoid valve and the function of the coil attached with the valve
thx..Mukesh, if you are in 'sales' then surely you should know the answers the the questions that you raise.:confused:

Langer
18-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Why do you need to know this?

I see questions being asked on this site, clearly by people who haven’t a clue about what they are doing. Do people not think these shouldn’t be answered?

People willing to learn cool, but some seem to be owners of shop who want to carry out repairs themselves.

This is wrong, plane and simple.

Bakerbj
20-09-2006, 07:59 AM
I was recently on a job where the valve was leaking gas back, I told the customer this.

Then when i went in his office half an hour later, he wasnt there, but on his PC screen was ebay and he had typed in Solenoid Valve :confused:

"Good Luck" I thought

shahid tufail
20-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Dear Sir
the solenoid valve can be used to open and close the gas or liquid with thermostat or any other signal as designed . this will give you an idea.

Peter_1
20-09-2006, 07:41 PM
It is there to heat the valve underneath it.

Feel once if it's energised for some time. You will feel that it will become realy hot.
To prove that it's prupose is for heating , remove once that coil and energise it without the metal piece in it.
You will see that it becomes extremely hot.

Why heating: well this heat is used to prevent icing of the valve.

Brian_UK
20-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Superb answer Peter, I must add that to the training data sheet.

chillin out
21-09-2006, 12:02 AM

Feel once if it's energised for some time. You will feel that it wil lbecome realy hot.
To prove that it's prupose is for heating , remove once that coil and energise it without the metal piece in it.
You will see that it becomes realy hot.

I think people are spending too much time with Slingblade....LOL

The real answer is... when the coil is energized it pulls the valve up and down creating vibration, this vibration keeps the liquid in a mixed up state. As we all know, some of these gases are blends of several others and can seporate from each other inside the pipework if the indoor and outdoor unit are too far apart.

And before anyone tells you that a condensor fan is there to cool the gas down... it not. The reason they put fans behind the coils is to collect dust from the rooms they are in. Just visit any retail outlet in the UK to see how productive these "dust collectors" actually are.

Want to know how people leak test systems?... pressurize the pipework with water and look around for wet patches.

Chillin:) :)

icetec9
21-09-2006, 04:18 AM
hey pete 1
i wonder if Mukesh will let us know if his solenoid gets hot enough to burn down his building.

Peter_1
21-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Well, this is a question that can be catalogued in the now running thread ' Are we all fridge guys'
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50305#post50305

BESC5240
21-09-2006, 08:22 AM

Feel once if it's energised for some time. You will feel that it will become realy hot.
You will see that it becomes extremely hot.

Don't forget the second function of the solenoid valve. Once the coil is energized, it acts like a magnet. All metalic parts that come loose from the inside of the compressor like discharge valves, piston rings, nuts ...etc are collected here. Once a year you should dismount the solenoid valve, collect these parts and repair the compressor. But then again it's easier to reverse the sense of rotation of the compressor. This way the refrigerant will go in reverse flow, like a heat pump. Automatically the parts come back to the compressor and get into place.

Peter_1
21-09-2006, 09:18 AM
...But then again it's easier to reverse the sense of rotation of the compressor. This way the refrigerant will go in reverse flow, like a heat pump. ...

Hey Bescie, this is new for me, we don't need to install a 4-way valve anymore in a heatpump. Just reverse 2 lines so that it run backwards to reverse flow.
What are you such a smart guy.

Wat lopen er toch klungels rond in onze job, en dat zit dan in de verkoop!?

LRAC
21-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi all

I hope the last but one reply was a joke or am i slow on new technology.

The solenoid coil is just there to add colour to the systems most engineers prefer blue but we often paint them different colours,they say variety is the spice of life.

regards
LRAC

Samarjit Sen
21-09-2006, 02:34 PM
With so many advantages of using a solenoid valve, I think from now on I shall install a number of solenoid valves in the system. Is it possible to replace the use of compressor.

US Iceman
21-09-2006, 04:10 PM
But then again it's easier to reverse the sense of rotation of the compressor. This way the refrigerant will go in reverse flow, like a heat pump. Automatically the parts come back to the compressor and get into place.

That's the best answer so far. These valves should be sold as value-added options to increase profit margins. Why?

Because you will never have to go back to work on the system again. They would be self reparing.

Now if we can only find something to seal refrigerant leaks from the inside of the tubing.:rolleyes:

refteach
21-09-2006, 04:42 PM
:confused: US Iceman isnt fixing the leaks from the inside of the tubing handled by the Capillary Tube Bearings??:D

LRAC
21-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi USA Iceman

We imported some replecators from your country that we put inside the refrigeration pipework, when they find a leak the change into the material used.

They can be purchased from Major Carter, Care of
Stargate or failing that Tilk might me able to help.

regards
LRAC
American tv fanatic especially samantha Carter.

monkey spanners
21-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Please be carefull not to confuse a solenoid valve with the similarly looking mag valve. A solenoid valve once confused may take many hours to regain proper operation:D Have just checked in the van to find that ive been sold an "electrovanne and bobine" :confused:
Back to the wholesalers methinks.
Also my pipe benders will only bend left hand bends:mad: Have i been sold a duffer:confused: :D

Cheers Jon

US Iceman
21-09-2006, 04:51 PM
LRAC,

That is a good show. You have to be careful with those little devices. If they escape, the start to look like refrigeration technicians.

Refteach,
You are supposed to be working, why are you on the NET? For shame.

What I have found that works better than cap tube bearings is the black stuff (copper oxide) you get when you heat the copper pipes up real hot.:D

Brian_UK
21-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I like this thread; it's really turning into a useful learning tool ;)

US Iceman
21-09-2006, 09:25 PM
HI Brian,

Yes this is getting interesting. I just hope others realize we are having fun and don't take these suggestions to heart.:eek:

bernard
21-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I recently posted on a Heating engineer web site regarding installing central heating in my house run of my coal fire Back boiler.The reason I posted is I could not find a heating engineer to do this job.I had a few sensible posts but most were just P teaking.I do find your posts funny but this guy could be a trainee salesmen trying to understand what he is selling a little better.

Any young apprentice reading these will think twice about posting.

I read back on some of my earlier posts with embarrasement but appreciate certain people on this site who always take the time to respond.

The only silly question is one thats never asked.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I think you guys are getting a little off track.

Regards Bernard.

winfred.dela
21-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Bernard,
Your post is what's needed in this thread.
Initially, I don't want to post anything here coz i thought its not worth my while.
A lot of guys are just lurking without posting.
I believe its good to first STOP+LOOK+LISTEN before crossing the tracks.
The guy maybe is a salesman but he could have learned it faster by reading a refrigeration book rather than waste other's valuable time.
Me. . . am posting here to also have fun. :D

US Iceman
22-09-2006, 02:15 AM
The guy maybe is a salesman but he could have learned it faster by reading a refrigeration book rather than waste other's valuable time.

Not to be too hard on anyone, but if they are selling parts the items all come with directions and the manufacturers always have brochures on component operation.

I was always taught to try to help yourself first. Then ask questions.

I doubt anyone has asked questions and not gotten a silly reply from an old timer either. I always thought this was done to make us think.

For myself, I enjoyed the display of imagination with some of the answers.:D

Samarjit Sen
22-09-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree with Winfred. There should not be any hard feelings. This was something which was a joke. Maybe the concerned person wanted some information on Solenoid Valve which he just could not explain. Any way after a hard days work, such posts relaxes you.