PDA

View Full Version : Top Tips and Gadgets

monkey spanners
17-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi all, lets hear all you tips and short cuts to make the job easier. What about a favorite gadget or tool you would'nt want to be without.

Here's a few of mine:D

15mm hep2o 'o' rings fit in bottle adaptors and only need handtightening. No more bits of cardboard/ptfe/chewinggum:eek:

A length of 11/2" waste pipe and an inspection end make a good brazing rod store in the van, also a good home for long drill bits.

Got your van plywood lined, then paint it white or a light colour, makes finding things easier at night as the light from the meager lights in the back reflects better.

Get yourself a hilti expanding foam gun and you'll never go back to the disposable ones. Wear gloves and goggles when using though, i once got the foam down the side of my thumb nail and spent the evening in agony as my nail was slowly peeled off:eek: :eek: :mad: would'nt want it to pop my eye out either hence goggles:cool:

For changing your vac pump oil get yourself a drainpan for use on cars. mine's a sealey one (model no. drp 06) and holds about 5L. To use lay it on its side, remove drain and vent plugs, drain oil into it and replace plugs. Job done. Turns a messy job into one i don't mind doing:)

My old monkey wrench ( F shapped adjustable spanner) is great for holding rotalock valves still when tightening the backnut. Facom still make them i believe.

Cheers Jon

Abe
18-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Jon

Great tips
:)

slingblade
18-09-2006, 08:39 PM
TOP TIPS. LOL.

Lifted from Take a break or whatever it is the missus reads, as follows.

Store Knitting needles in the grooves of corrugated cardboard.

To stop bread from tearing when you spread butter use a spoon instead of a knife.

£25 quid each.

£200 star tip.

When peeling onions use swimming goggles to stop your eyes watering.

Women have too much time on their hands i think.

Karl Hofmann
19-09-2006, 09:05 AM
The foam gun tip is a good one. I used to buy loads of those disposible cans, use a bit and then chuck the rest, but I got a foam gun from a builders merchant with a can of foam for £25 the can does go quite a long way and the foam seems to be denser and better quality. Once got coated from head to foot in PU foam when the injection pipe on a machine injecting insulated panels burst as I was walking past. it set so fast, that I didnt even have time to get my boiler suit off, coated my hair and glued my eyes shut. for weeks I had no hair, no eyebrows and no eyelashes:eek: Dr Evil or what???