PDA

View Full Version : Acid away

Renato RR
14-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Whad do you think about acid away?Eny experience with that caind of purifaying oil?

Renato

Abby Normal
14-09-2006, 12:11 PM
most discussions on it end up with the conclusion that only refrigerant and oil should be inside a system

refteach
14-09-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree with Abby Normal, in order to get rid of the acid chemically you have to add a base, then you get a reaction that will more than likely result in precipitates, which depending on the chemistry can cause more problems than the acid.

Some people swear by purifying the oil through filters and such, it does just that it may purify it only. Used oil has lost some of its components over time and these can include, antifoaming agents, anti-oxidents, viscocity index improvers and anti-wear additives, when you purify used oil you end up with an oil lacking these components and while it tests out fine for acid content and particulates, it lacks the important stuff you want in the oil.

POS26
15-09-2006, 09:09 PM
My company manufactures an acid treatment that uses the filter drier and not a dangerous chemical reaction to treat acid. This forum was making me laugh because in our marketing meetings some of the head honchos keep repeating that "we need to educate the consumer that the competing products cause dangerous chemical reactions blah blah blah etc. etc." So I see this forum and it looks like everyone realizes exactly what is going on :) lol. Anyways take a look at it at qwik.com under the products section. this treatment does not neutralize the acid or cause a chemical reaction. It just moves it all to the filter-drier really quickly, the only set-back is that it has to be hermetically injected rather then just dumped in like "acid-away".

puddleboy3
15-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Ive had a few systems that have had burnt out compressors on them and tested for high levels of acid. When new compressor fitted with burn out drier in toe after a few days oil tested again and shown signs of acid, had to go down the line of adding acid away and eventually changing the oil a couple of times and replacing the core from the burn out drier at each oil change to finally get rid of acid.:D

rbartlett
16-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Some mitsubishi splits allow you to re-use the old R22 pipe as they say their oil neturalises the chlorine in the old oil.

Cheers

Richard

puddleboy3
16-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Have you ever used these systems? If so any problems? I know that Daikin RZQ units can use old R22 pipework, but there is a long checklist that has to be ticked off before you can consider it. With things on it like the system must be able to run in cooling for 30min then be pumped down, and never in the history of the unit had a burn out. So not much use unless you are just upgrading a system which nine times out of ten you only want to change it cos its U/S

frank
18-09-2006, 09:21 PM
2 years ago we took out a couple of old R22 Daikin cassettes and installed new R407C cassettes with full speed compressors and we decided to re-use the existing pipework as it was a difficult task to replace it.

We used, for the first time, one of the recommended flushing fluids to clean out any mineral oil in the pipework.

Long story short, but we lost a compressor this week - don't know the cause yet as we haven't swopped out. This system has been troublesome from the start while the other unit continues to run without any sign of problems.

Is it too early to blame the flushing fluid do you think?

dan wong
19-09-2006, 08:55 AM
A vote of confident. I've used acid away on many, many, compressor burn out / replacement. air andition and refrigeration systems. No problem.

Renato RR
19-09-2006, 01:49 PM
My suplier claims that I need to detect acid level in oil.There is 3 posible levels mild,midle and severe.When I detect I need to put 3 bothles in sistem when I have severe acid in oil.After this procedure I have eqperience oil diferential alarm for few days.After I replace oil the problem no longer exsists.This were on heat pump with _Bitzer 100HP.That whos my first experience so I am sceptic now.

Renato

Dan
20-09-2006, 03:06 AM
I had severe acid problems in a large parallel rack application. After using the prescribed acid removal driers such as the Sporlan HH series, and doing oil changes, I still had high acid content. After 4 frustrating weeks of recurring high acid readings, I used 2 applications of Acid Away and finally won control of the Ph in the system.

I think that the sooner you can neutralize an acidic system, the better. I don't care about some salty dust that a filter can collect. I will be quicker to use Acid Away or an equivalent if confronted with a similar dilemma in the future.

dan wong
22-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I would like to hear from the manufacturer(s) of acid away or the like. In particular; I like to see some pure test data, how many units tested, how many got better, how many got worest, etc... ( Please, no sale pitch. We got the greatest product that can solve all u r problem...etc... no bull **** Please)

POS26
04-10-2006, 09:00 PM
If you visit qwik.com the acid treatment my company manufactures can be found under the products section. It is QwikShot Acid Flush. Posting a direct link to the product is not allowed on this forum but If you want to look at some of the data on this product I recommend reading Press Release 2 inside of the QwikShot product's description at qwik.com. Comments on what you think about QwikShot are very appreciated, thanks.

Snowman123
06-10-2006, 11:24 PM
;) Have used Quickshot on all recip compressors on water chillers with no problems at all. Used on Dakin split R407c and on Mitsi splits with no recall to faulty comps, works with mineral and synthetic oil i'm happy with it its very easy to use :) :) .

dan wong
07-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I've also used Quickshot - no problem.

william_wye
13-10-2006, 05:53 AM
I also recommend Quickshot-real easy

POS26
18-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Well I feel proud guys! Thanks a lot! :D

kDawg
12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I used to use acid away until just recently I heard about qwikshot and did some research on it (including questioning this forum).

I used qwikshot last week. It was much easier for me than acid-away, the actual chemical used to remove the acid doesn't stay in the system, and it took about 10 minutes of my time (and I'm slow).

All I did then was wait and test (the test took 5 sec --qwikcheck also offered by the same CO as qwikshot)

Cake.

--kDawg

snowman69
08-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I have been using acid aawy for about 10 years no problems to report, never had to change the oil again.