PDA

View Full Version : expansion valve aint cold

justinworne
25-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi all

I have an old R22 that i am fooling aorund with. I installed an expansion valve and it isnt cold. The evap coil is cold and the tube into the compressor is cold but the expansion valve isnt cold. The tube connecting the expansion valve to the evap is not cold also.

What is the problem

thanks

Brian_UK
25-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi Justin and welcome to RE.

What sort of 'cold' are you looking for?

Some pressure/temperature readings would help with the analysis.

justinworne
26-07-2006, 02:51 AM
maybe i did not make my problem clear

first off i dont have any pressure reading, just temp after the compressor outlet,

here is the problem

The pipe after the expanion is not COLD. The pipe into the evap is cold and the evap is cold, as well as the pipe into the compressor. In additon the pipe into the compressor is sweating

the pipe after the expansion valve but before the evap is not cold but is is luke warm and and alot cooler that the pipe after the condenser

any reason for this, i thought the pipe after the expansion valve would be cold not luke warm

do u think i am overcharged, i am not using a receiver

US Iceman
26-07-2006, 03:23 AM
If I might ask a question or two;

Why don't you have pressure readings?

How do you expect to find the problems then?

Seriously now, you are asking us to guess along with you with no more information than what you are offering.

Obviously you must have a set of gauges, since you asked about the possibility of overcharging. If you don't have a set of pressure gauges and are charging refrigerant, stop before you hurt yourself.

You can't use a TXV without a receiver without the risk of misinterpreting the system charge.

Do you have any training to be doing this?

justinworne
26-07-2006, 03:27 AM
i am not using a txv, i am using a manual expansion valve, that i can adjust as i please.

this is is a small 1kw system, an old a/c system that i am fooling aorund.

frank
26-07-2006, 09:45 PM
The pipe into the evap is cold and the evap is cold, as well as the pipe into the compressor. In additon the pipe into the compressor is sweating

can't really see a problem then :)

Brian_UK
26-07-2006, 10:52 PM
can't really see a problem then :)My thoughts exactly but thought that I was missing something :cool: