PDA

View Full Version : the new refrigerants

worthington
21-01-2002, 09:27 AM
there are so many new refrigerants now has anyone got a current list?
i came across one the other day R600.after a long phone call discovered it was Butane,& was ranked alongside "lethal methyl"!!!
and this was in a domestic!! would you have this in your kitchen??
it had a british kite mark,do you read this on the way into orbit??to keep within the realms of decency,shall i say i declined the repair! seriously though,why are these not clearly marked as being dangerous? the hazards are obvious,someone fitting a piercing valve doesnt bear thinking about.

Prof Sporlan
22-01-2002, 03:55 AM
The Prof at one time attempted to post a current refrigerant list in a table format via html, but couldn't get the table to display very well. But that was before Dez upgraded the BBS. He'll give it another try this week.

Gary
22-01-2002, 05:33 AM
I carry a butane lighter in my pocket, which I have with me as I work on natural gas heating systems, and I get to work riding atop a couple hundred pounds of gasoline (petrol).

I don't see a few ounces of butane as particularly dangerous, although the system shouldn't be torched in an enclosed area.

In the past, I have worked on cascades with ethane in the low stage. Those were probably more dangerous.

Something to be aware of, and respectful of, but not to lose sleep over. It could burn you, but it won't put you into orbit.

Now electricity...THAT stuff is dangerous.

pdproductions
27-01-2002, 07:14 PM
There are very MANY refrigerants on the market. Some are more desireable than others. The butane refrigerant that you are speaking of is not very common, (and not new), but is a DIRECT replacement for R24 and a couple of other types of refrigerant (not all of the refrigerants are directly compatible with the domestic fridges,) I am in the US, and R24 is now VERY expensive, so any type of replacement is more desireable than that!

Since the refrigerant is in an enclosed system, there should be NO problems with butane being in the refrigerant. But who knows whether the tech ding the replacement left any leaks?

abcdefg1675
18-03-2003, 01:58 AM
It wouldnt be a smart idea to charge your car AC system with Butane or propane...

Argus
19-03-2003, 03:05 PM
There are various standards on refrigerants that contain lists.
Most manufacturers of refrigerants publish lists of what they sell.

The most comprehensive list of refrigerants in actual use, plus most of the historical and exotic compounds including fluorocarbons, hydrocarbons and the inorganic compounds is BS EN 378, Part 1 on Refrigeration Safety. It replaced BS 4434.
There is a table in one of the annexes

Many domestic refrigerators sold in the UK, particularly those made on the continent these days contain a working charge of hydrocarbon and the potential hazards are well known. R 134a is also in use. You are more likely than not to encounter HCs in new domestics in the UK these days. The standard does place an upper limit on the actual charge size that can be used in a direct application, though.

Visit ACRIB www.acrib.org.uk There is a lot on the proposed safe handling of refrigerants legislation.
You can download their Guide to the use of hydrocarbon refrigerants. at this link:
http://www.acrib.org.uk/Use%20of%20Hydrocarbon%20Refrigerants%20Guidelines.pdf

Hope this helps
________
weed vaporizers (http://weedvaporizer.info/)