PDA

View Full Version : Converting a small fridge to brewery accessory

martin123i
25-02-2023, 10:18 PM
Hoy! I'm new here

So I've recently picked up brewing as a hobby again. When it comes to fermentation, some yeast strains need cold climate all the way down to 4C/39F. Others need way higher up to 40C/104F.

My plan and question:
I want to modify a small fridge. Thinking that if I put in a 4-way valve and a digital controller I might be able to switch between cooling and heating the fridge for fermenting.

Would this work?
Would I get away with just putting in a 4-way valve, or do I need a check valve group like a heatpump?

RANGER1
25-02-2023, 11:13 PM
Martin,
Can’t you just turn a light bulb on/off on thermostat?
Possibly hard to buy an old type light bulb is only difficulty.

NH3LVR
26-02-2023, 12:57 AM
RANGER1:
Good plan. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best!

seanf
26-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Martin,
Can’t you just turn a light bulb on/off on thermostat?
Possibly hard to buy an old type light bulb is only difficulty.

Small heating element instead?

Would building an insulated box onto the back of a fridge work? use it to house the condenser (and compressor?) as a heat source. Open the fridge door when you want heat the back box. Open the back box door when you want to cool the fridge box. Daft eh!

RANGER1
26-02-2023, 10:03 PM
I think lots of cheap equipment already out there, see link as example.

To convert a fridge to a reverse cycle system that works would be your new hobby, while you drink beer that is easy to make with kits available:D

9 Devices to Heat or Cool Your Fermenter | Homebrew Academy (https://homebrewacademy.com/fermentation-temperature-methods/)

martin123i
27-02-2023, 06:50 PM
Heating element, light bulb and heating element are all good suggestions for the sake of simplicity. However. If I'm not mistaken; a reverse cycle system is the most efficient way of generating heat in a closed system.

Would I be able to control such a system with a stc controller? Or am i required to use some of the expensive Danfoss controllers?

martin123i
27-02-2023, 07:43 PM
So I believe I've found a suitable controller
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954349844.html

If it is of interest: I'll keep you posted with the progress when I get to building this with my father that has the required equipment for the job.

RANGER1
28-02-2023, 03:34 AM
Heating element, light bulb and heating element are all good suggestions for the sake of simplicity. However. If I'm not mistaken; a reverse cycle system is the most efficient way of generating heat in a closed system.

Would I be able to control such a system with a stc controller? Or am i required to use some of the expensive Danfoss controllers?

Depends, you do not say how big your small refrigerator is?
If you are making small quantities how are you going to compare with a 100 watt light bulb.
Reverse cycle need a lot of thought & design work.
What will be your ambient temperatures.
Where will the condenser , now evaporator on reverse cycle be.