PDA

View Full Version : Urgent issue with a Carrier Supra 560

FarmFresh
13-07-2021, 02:50 AM
Hello group,

I apologize in advance for not being able to search the forums for more info about my problem - but our one and only truck is going out in the morning on its first day of service and I need to be working on it.

This is a new truck to us, and the reefer unit is really low hours - 2300. I just had it in to Carrier in Albuquerque on Tuesday, and the engine ran fine of course. They put in a full charge of ***** - apparently it had been sitting and some leaked out, but I've been running it every day since and it seems like it's maintaining its charge - the beads are floating up at the top of the gauge, and it cools to 40 in about a half hour.

Tonight the engine is having trouble maintaining idle - it's sporadically losing RPMs and will sometimes die altogether. I'm not getting any errors or alarms on the control box, and the engine will restart itself after a minute or so. But the idle is getting worse. It looks like there's activity at the reefer fuel pump - there's diesel in there sloshing around.

Any quick responses for what to investigate would be hugely appreciated. We're 4 hours from the nearest Carrier center, and like I said, the truck is scheduled to go out in the morning and our recourses are few.

Thank you thank you!

PS - it's on a 2014 Isuzu NQR
PPS - an unfortunate revelation - fuel filter was last changed Feb. 2020, only 11 reefer hours ago. Guess it's been out of service longer than I thought.

Fuel filters are clean, but I'm not sure the fuel pump is pumping enough - just a cup or less in the startup phase of the program, didn't seem like much pressure.

Update - I cleaned out both fuel filters and it seemed to fix the problem. If there's any further developments I'll be sure to update my post.

al
14-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Glad you got sorted, transport is like a black box of magic to me! Tough times keeping the show on the road these days i'd say?

FarmFresh
27-07-2021, 07:44 PM
Hi All, I have another question for this thread - The fuel filter should be replaced (the problem recurs sometimes), but Carrier doesn't have them in stock. Is there a known fuel filter from an auto parts store (we have most of the major US chains in our town) that will spin right on to the Supra 560 and work well? I know the spare TK fuel filter I have for our other truck is a different thread.
Thanks!

NH3LVR
27-07-2021, 11:56 PM
Just a guess on my part.
Could you have an air leak on the suction side of the fuel system?

FarmFresh
03-08-2021, 09:41 PM
NH3LVR - that sounds plausible, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the reply. We changed out the fuel filter with a generic one from the auto parts store today and it seems to be running really smoothly now. For the record the lookup number was 33404 at Carquest. Not sure if there are other compatible versions but that seems to be working for us. Carrier is out of stock and doesn't expect to have them for a month or more...