PDA

View Full Version : Getting a maintenance plan for a mini-split AC unit, worth it?

ProPreston
11-06-2021, 03:52 AM
Hello, I have a mini-split AC unit installed around 4 years ago and I recently noticed an increase in our electricity bill. Our air conditioning unit also seems to not be blowing air as cool as it used to so I did search for professional AC maintenance that offers AC maintenance plans wherein they'll be sending one of their AC technicians to perform preventive maintenance service regularly for a certain price. I'm thinking about giving it a try but I'd like to ask what some of you guys think about this, is it a worth it investment? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Rob White
11-06-2021, 08:57 AM

Are you asking if you could do a maintenance visit on your own AC system?

That's like asking how long is a piece of string :)

In truth you are the only person who could answer that question.

Do you have any AC or refrigeration knowledge?
Do you have any electrical knowledge?
Do you have any knowledge on drains and or pumped water?

If you have a mechanical background you could check the filters, if they have not been
checked in the last 4 years they will be your biggest issue.
If you have an electrical background you could check the electrical connections.
If you are comfortable with the waste water drainage you could look at that also.

I would advise leaving the refrigerant part of the circuit alone but there is no real
reason why you could not clean filters, clean the coils and flush the drains.
But and it is a big but if you don't have the confidence to do it I would look to
having it done professionally.

Regards
Rob

frank
11-06-2021, 10:00 AM
Rob

The whole post was cleverly worded as an advert for a local AC company. I've deleted several 1 post wonders along the same vein in the last couple of weeks.

Thought that on this occasion, I would leave the original post without the link just in case this one is a genuine enquiry, but time will tell. :D

NH3LVR
11-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Could someone do their own maintenance? After a long time in Industrial work I do not service my own.
I do not have the Instruments the service people carry. I cannot check the capacitor values for instance.
I wish I had a set of gauges that automatically calculated sub cooling for me. But I would not invest in them at this point.
Better left to someone who does it everyday.
On the other hand they would be lost doing a Vilter or Mycom compressor rebuild!

Rob White
14-06-2021, 08:49 AM
Rob

The whole post was cleverly worded as an advert for a local AC company. I've deleted several 1 post wonders along the same vein in the last couple of weeks.

Thought that on this occasion, I would leave the original post without the link just in case this one is a genuine enquiry, but time will tell. :D

I tend to leave the "I have never ever been to a vet before but could I do brain surgery on my pet goldfish" posts
alone but I got suckered into answering this one :) :D

Oh well the joys of the "tinternet".

:D

Rob

Smithsair
20-06-2021, 02:22 AM
You will also want to decide what you want out of a maintenance.

Whether it be:
Reduce power consumption
Clean air flow from mould and dirt
Prevent breakdowns

We would be able to give better advice on your situation

ductcleani
14-08-2021, 09:52 AM
If you have enough knowledge in this particular field then you can provably DIY. But just like me or maybe most of us don't have expertise in this field then I would instead ask for a professional help. It is maybe a little bit pricey but if is worth why don't give it a try