PDA

View Full Version : PHE - condenser Water - NH3, add plates but now can't close

PEPELEBU
10-06-2021, 08:11 AM
HI,
We open a PHE condenser water - NH3, we were getting high pressure and a huge differential pressure on the water side on PHE.
So we decided to open and add 10 more plates.
Model M10 - BWREF Alfa Laval
But now we are having problem's to close the PHE. We don't manage to close without leak.
Because we added more plates, I have no idea which should be the distance between the fix and back frame, neither Nm for tighetening.
Also if I invert each plate, so cold side and hot side alternate, the plate does NOT align.
Somebody have any good idea here?
Much appreciatte.
I have the Alfa Laval manual instructions, but not much help there.
Thanks

Dani

Tycho
10-06-2021, 06:09 PM
you should contact Alfa Laval...

when they sell you plates they should also inform you of the new distance.

There is no Torque/NM for tightening, there is a set distance that has to be between the fixed and moving main plates.

when you added the 10 plates you should have had to give the serial number to Alfa Laval and they should have given you the new measurement.

also make sure to tighten it evenly between the eight bolts, when you reach the minimum measurement it should be spot on for all the bolts

mbc
10-06-2021, 07:06 PM
Hi
On PHE when you opened it you should change the all rubber gaskets and close that very carefully and gently and tight it with torque

RANGER1
10-06-2021, 09:42 PM
HI,
We open a PHE condenser water - NH3, we were getting high pressure and a huge differential pressure on the water side on PHE.
So we decided to open and add 10 more plates.
Model M10 - BWREF Alfa Laval
But now we are having problem's to close the PHE. We don't manage to close without leak.
Because we added more plates, I have no idea which should be the distance between the fix and back frame, neither Nm for tighetening.
Also if I invert each plate, so cold side and hot side alternate, the plate does NOT align.
Somebody have any good idea here?
Much appreciatte.
I have the Alfa Laval manual instructions, but not much help there.
Thanks

Dani

As Tycho & MBC have said, but also you have to clean existing plates, not just add to them, unless new.
Inverting plates, is that what instructions say?
Usually "0" ring for ammonia inlet/outlet has to be replaces as a minimum.
PHE, if bigger units they use 4 hydraulic power packs that you can hire to drive up simultaneously.

Tycho
11-06-2021, 09:32 AM
this is before and after removing all the plates, pressurewashing them.
needed three guys in a bucket line to pass the plates in, over and around all the pipes :)

first time we did this one 10 years ago I was with a guy from Alfa and he brought the powerpacks RANGER1 mentioned, sadly there was no room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGUPS3ckQq8

GrantD
17-06-2021, 06:25 PM
In addition to the good points above. There is a certain tightening sequence that must be adhered to. Confirming that all port and cassette gaskets must be replaced for all plates. PHE's can be a bugger - enjoy.