PDA

View Full Version : 60Hz-50Hz

PaulL
18-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Hello Everybody
Hope you are fine and safe

I hope to be posting in the right section of the forum.

Please, I’d need your help concerning this topic since I am not an expert on this subject but my knowledge makes me totally skeptical.
I have recently being offered to buy a system working @60Hz in US voltage (meaning 115V-220V-460V) to move it in a 400/3/50 230/1/50 territory

My first thought is that this system won’t work as in US tension, then I thought that at least it would be necessary to examine all the electrical characteristics of the system, as label data of all the compressor, examining if it can work at different voltages.

My concerns refer to the passage to a frequency that is lower than the original (therefore all components in low voltage should have problems) and to the fact that the system won’t be designed for the new Voltage frequency combination.
In the best case, changing the tension, it would give a lower performance but I fear in the long time It would damaged.

Please, can anybody give me some practical hints concerning this topic ?
Please, has anybody of you experienced similar requests ?
If possible, reference to literature concerning this topic than would help me to clarify better my concerns would be highly welcomed, too

Thanks , stay safe

martinw58
18-02-2021, 06:31 PM
at 50hz the duty will be less

frank
18-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Hello PaulL

You are correct with your concerns regarding the difference in frequency on the electrical supply.

The equipment designed for 60Hz will run on a lower frequency (50Hz) but will draw more power. More power = more heat, so the equipment will fail earlier than expected.

The simplest solution would be for you to use a frequency converter - a bit of kit specifically for converting 60Hz to 50Hz. Do a web search for frequency converter.