PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting LG Artcool AC

laalves911
10-01-2021, 05:10 PM
Hi all,

I have 3 same model ACs, LG Artcool C12AWR Neo, split units. I'm not sure whether they are Europe-only (I'm in Portugal). They're about 13-year old.

Anyway, one of them has started showing error C6 which it seems has to do with excessive compressor current. In the past, I also had these issues with all of them and because I have the benefit of being able to swap around components between them to troubleshoot, in all cases it was the main external PCB that had to be replaced, all of them had corrosion in their EEPROMs and since they are not available for separate sale and the programming is proprietary, there was no other option than to replace the whole boards.

I was ready to buy another PCB but did swap it with another of my units and guess what, the problem did not follow the PCB, it stayed in the same unit.

So, can anybody share either this unit's service manual or a troubleshooting procedure to try and understand what this may be? I'm a mechanical engineer and do have plenty of hands-on maintenance experience, both in aircraft and cars/bikes as well as a lot of tools but none in ACs and with no service manual, I'm at a loss.

Any help?

frank
11-01-2021, 12:40 PM
If the error code is related to compressor over-current then it should be straight forward to check outdoor unit current draw and campare it with the nameplate rating.

After 13 years it is not uncommon for compressors to fail.

Compressor over-current can also be due to incorrect refrigerant charge issues.

charlie patt
15-01-2021, 06:55 PM
I've had lots of issues with the LG units mainly when the weather turns cold ive found two main issues the first being the thermal blanket over the comp is wet or not wrapped around the comp enough the oil get thick and on start up faults up, the other thing I've done is fitted a crank wraparound heater at the base of the comp that tends to nail it