PDA

View Full Version : How to safely work on top of shop floor fridge...

TaffyLad
03-12-2020, 09:05 PM
We often need to work on top of a supermarket sales floor fridge or freezer. Say, to repair a leak or replace some electrics. This would require us to physically get on top of the case and not just work from a ladder.

However, clients and our companies say this practice is forbidden without safe access equipment to mitigate the risk of us falling.

I personally cannot think of suitable system.

Can anyone share what they do to safely work on top of a case?

Gibbo
14-12-2020, 03:45 PM
I would think that they mean not using ladders to access top of unit and probably due to height require a tower as for while on top of unit probably need to have safety harness with safety rope to prevent falling off.
Gibbo

nike123
14-12-2020, 09:15 PM
We are just few steps away from ridiculuos situation where "safety" (in the name and for interestst of insurance companies) will stop us from work at all. Accidents happens when people work. Inevitably as long as they work!

Lease this and charge them by hour! Or try to lease this:
https://youtu.be/hSjKoEva5bg

As you can see, sometimes I am not that "generaly nice guy";)

RANGER1
14-12-2020, 11:03 PM
Platform ladder considered okay in this part of the world, can get different heights.

TaffyLad
16-12-2020, 06:59 AM
Mobile platform isn’t really an option as you’d have to get on you knees and lean out to do any works.

Madness I know. I’ve never felt unsafe when on top of a case, but strictly speaking I could fall off the edge. Can’t think of a solution.

Brian_UK
16-12-2020, 03:28 PM
is there any way that you could temporarily install a handrail around the top of the case. This would cover your falls from height problem and perhaps with kickplates fitted should cover the tools over the edge fear.

Have any case manufacturers considered fitting handrail sockets yet?

Rob White
17-12-2020, 12:31 PM

This is a problem that reared it's ugly head in the 2000's and has only got worse, like most elf and safety issues.

It can only be resolved by the supermarket replacing all multi deck and display fridge and freezers with front access and not roof access. Front access is the only real way forward.

It will always come up in your risk assessments and permit to work documents and it will always be a problem right up to the point where they start loosing stock because the fridge / freezer is down and you refuse to work on top because it is not safe. All of a sudden it is not too much of a problem, just as long as you get the thing working.

There is no easy solution and you will go round and round in circles with your supermarket and your company all telling you how to do it but not actually supporting you while you do it.

The easiest and cheapest option short term are those airport style step ladders that are fixed and have hand rails.

Climbing up the stacked boxes of promotional beer is not an option apparently, some people just have a different attitude to risk :D

Rob

Rob White
17-12-2020, 12:38 PM

I have been involved with installs where the fridge /freezer was encased in scaffold and only accessed through a gap with a fixed step ladder and I have been involved in service where I have climbed up the end promotional shelving and walked across the length of the case. One extreme to the other.

Good designed and modern fridges / freezers all have front access and or easy access to the front at the top with the use of a proper stepladder with a hand rail.

For all the others it is a negotiation with the staff and managers plus Health and Safety officers (if any) in dealing with every case on a more ad-hoc basis dependant on who the customer is and how valuable the product is.

Rob