PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Split AC RSNG317HCEA Outdoor Unit Noise

Arcturus37
01-06-2020, 06:28 AM
Hello, I just joined.

After registering, I noticed that this doesn't seem to be a site where novice home users ask questions about their AC, but since I've already joined, I might as well ask it. Please delete this thread if it is against the forum rules.

The AC in question is about a year old. Earlier, it used to make this grating sound every time the AC started, about a minute after switching it on, and also sometimes, after a few hours, especially if I set the fan speed to low (in the indoor unit). The noise would last two to three seconds and then stop, and sometimes occur after half an hour or so. I called the service guys and they put some foam packing and the noise pretty much stopped. Now it occurs only once in a while. The grating noise in this video occurred about 50 seconds after I turned the unit on.

I've uploaded a video to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDvB36zlQkk

(The youtube description is the same as I typed above so you don't need to read it again).

I'd like to know if this is a serious problem with the unit and whether I should call the service guys again, or whether it is acceptable.

Thanks a lot. :)

al
01-06-2020, 12:03 PM
The clicking noise might indicate a fault with the condenser fan, coupled with the compressor noise i would recommend getting it checked again.

Arcturus37
11-06-2020, 08:43 AM
The clicking noise might indicate a fault with the condenser fan, coupled with the compressor noise i would recommend getting it checked again.

Thanks for the reply. I got the service guy to come take a look at it. The unit didn't make the noise when he was present, and when I showed him the video, he said that that is the sound of the compressor heating up, or something like that, and that it is normal, and that there was no need to do any repairs.

On youtube, someone has replied that the unit is low on oil and that is why it is making this sound. Would you say it is correct?

Brian_UK
11-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Unless you have found oil anywhere then a leak is unlikely. An oil leak from a sealed system would also mean that the refrigerant is leaking and the unit would not cool down. Ignore that "expert".

amybrown
12-06-2020, 09:49 AM
For this you have to call a service guy who is expert enough to solve your problem.