PDA

View Full Version : BlueAir Chef Table 4 drawer cooler running warm

Chefgreg
15-05-2020, 03:53 AM
First, I am a chef. I can do minor refrigeration repairs, ie; thermostat, solenoids, power cords, and standard maintenance.
I bought a used Blue Air Chef table. It was running and held temp for about a month. Then it froze up. I unplugged it to thaw and then it never got down to 38 degrees again. I replace the thermostat with a generic refrigeration thermostat, it got down to 38 for a couple of days then froze. After unplugging to thaw, it never got back to 38 again. It would get to 42, but the hold at 50 (ish). Then I replaced that thermostat, same results. I then order OEM from Blue Air. That thermostat hasn't gotten down to 38 AT ALL. It has started to freeze the coils, but, not as bad as before (ice on the coil cover face plate). The OEM Thermostat holds (with dial turned all the way up) at 51. I may have put the wires backwards on the thermostat, but don't know if it matters. I thought it might have been the start/run solenoid, until I put the OEM thermostat in. Now, I don't know.
Other things - Yes the gaskets need replacing, but they do still mostly seal. The drawer slides need replacing, but they work and the drawers do shut fully. There is a gas grill on top of the unit, but normally this shouldn't matter, and it still runs warm even with the grill off.
Any help would be appreciated. I would like to avoid calling in a pro until I have to....$...
Thanks

al
15-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Are there circulation fans inside the unit? Have you a pic of the cabinet, sounds like there should be a fan inside, if this isn't running all the time it will ice up and not keep temp. Get your door seals sorted soon as you can, you're only drawing in hot moist air from the kitchen which will also lead to icing up. Is the condenser clean?

Chefgreg
15-05-2020, 08:17 PM
Are there circulation fans inside the unit? Have you a pic of the cabinet, sounds like there should be a fan inside, if this isn't running all the time it will ice up and not keep temp. Get your door seals sorted soon as you can, you're only drawing in hot moist air from the kitchen which will also lead to icing up. Is the condenser clean?

Yes, the condenser is clean. The fans are constantly running. The drawers do close and there is minimal leaking from gaskets.
In this pic the working OEM thermostat is on the right. The one on the left is not connected 15545

al
16-05-2020, 04:04 PM
The coil is running below zero even though cabinet temperature is higher, so any air leakage will lead to ice up. Is there a defrost timer on the system?

Chefgreg
16-05-2020, 06:45 PM
The coil is running below zero even though cabinet temperature is higher, so any air leakage will lead to ice up. Is there a defrost timer on the system?

No. When I use a laser thermometer on the coil, right by the fans, it reads 51 degrees. No ice on the coil. I don't think there is a defrost timer.

al
16-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Thats about 10c, way too warm, i'm afraid it may be time to call a fridge man!