PDA

View Full Version : Pump down to change discharge ballvalves

Aussie134a
27-02-2020, 08:01 AM
Good day

I have to replace a few ballvalves on a discharge line (heat reclaim setup), 3 compressor rack.
I've had a few years off refrig so am just putting this question out there as it's got me scratching my head.

Cheers

Brian_UK
27-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Forget using hoses to transfer across the plantation. Make up transfer lines using soft copper coils.

passandscore
27-02-2020, 11:54 AM
Hi Aussie134a,

A system pump down utilizes a solenoid or isolation valve in the liquid line. When the valve is closed the compressor will continue to pump refrigerant into the condenser and/or receiver, drawing it from the low side of the system.

That being said, you may need to acquire longer/additional hoses if you plan on transferring the refrigerant. Are there no access fittings on the discharge side to allow you to reclaim the refrigerant in the cylinders?

passandscore
27-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Brian_UK makes a good point. Transfer coils would be ideal!

Aussie134a
28-02-2020, 03:14 AM
Thanks guys! Will just be reclaiming it.
If I were to front seat the suction service valves, the comps will continue to pump into the condenser correct until they hit the cut out psi... Will see how low I can get it and then reclaim the rest.

RANGER1
28-02-2020, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys! Will just be reclaiming it.
If I were to front seat the suction service valves, the comps will continue to pump into the condenser correct until they hit the cut out psi... Will see how low I can get it and then reclaim the rest.

Aussie,
If discharge line, no matter what you do in that system you cannot pump it down on high side unless multiple condensers with isolation valves.
Basically turn off & reclaim back into liquid receiver or clean reclaim cylinder. If it’s gas only it won’t take that long.

Aussie134a
28-02-2020, 06:35 AM
Aussie,
If discharge line, no matter what you do in that system you cannot pump it down on high side unless multiple condensers with isolation valves.
Basically turn off & reclaim back into liquid receiver or clean reclaim cylinder. If it’s gas only it won’t take that long.

Thanks ranger 👍