PDA

View Full Version : First time installing external VFD

indigoer
18-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Greetings!
This is our first install where we'd like to utilise an electronic TX valve, variable speed drive and water cooled compressor.

We bought the lot as a package from a local wholesaler (https://famaga.ch) and were assured it was compatible, but now their technical guy has disappeared on holidays and we're stuck trying to work out how things go together - and in my opinion it simply won't work as advertised.

The components are a Carel EVD Evolution (electronic TX valve), a Vacon VSD and a Bitzer compressor. The control is a Carel Mastercella.

In my mind, the electronic TX valve is stand alone, and is based purely on superheat. It doesn't connect to anything and will react purely on suction pressure (via a transducer) and temperature (via a sensor) to open and close the valve, regardless of room temperature or compressor operation.

The compressor is simply connected to the VSD output. No problem.

The MasterCella needs to turn the compressor on and off based on room temperature and defrost requirement. But the trick is... how do I make the VSD "work"?

I can easily connect the MasterCella to purely act as a "start" command to the VSD, but that will just make it a very expensive soft starter as without any speed instruction it will just go to maximum RPM. What I need is to send ramp up / ramp down commands based on load.

Should the electronic TX valve provide the ramp up/down commands to the VSD? There's a set of RX/TX/GND terminals that provide serial (RS485) connectivity, but what is it actually outputting? The manual shows it being connected to a Carel pCO control but we have a MasterCella. Can this go directly to the VSD and be programmed using some kind of standard, or is it Carel proprietory stuff?

The VSD has RS485 settings that allows protocols of "Modbus/RTU", "N2" and "BACnet MS/TP". What does Carel use?

Should there be another transducer in the suction side that controls the speed of the compressor / VSD output? The VSD seems to be able to accept input from 0..20mA or 0..10V as an analog input.

The MasterCella has a serial (RS485) connection, but it just says "To Supervisor" which I assume is a mimic panel of some kind for reading output, not accepting input.

I'd appreciate any help on this as I'm kind of lost here.

Tycho
18-02-2020, 04:00 PM
been a while since I played with vacon, but you should be able to connect a 4-20 mA pressure transmitter to the VSD to control speed. simply place the transmitter on the suction, enter the desired setpoint in the VSD and the VSD will take care of the rest

What Vacon model is the VSD?

Vacon can also be very helpful in providing you with the correct settings list if you explain the application to them.

seanf
18-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Does the Carel EVD not also act as a liquid line soleniod valve, so it would take an input signal from your Mastercella as an on/off switch depending on room temp.

If the compressor being left on and maintaining the suction pressure during defrost/off cycle is going to cause a problem, and the VSD is only able to be controlled by a suction transducer and no additional options for switching off the compressor, could you not stick the transducers signal through a relay and switch it over to a fixed voltage or current signal during defrost/off cycle to give the VSD a false signal and ramp down and off?

Tycho
19-02-2020, 06:09 PM
Does the Carel EVD not also act as a liquid line soleniod valve, so it would take an input signal from your Mastercella as an on/off switch depending on room temp.

If the compressor being left on and maintaining the suction pressure during defrost/off cycle is going to cause a problem, and the VSD is only able to be controlled by a suction transducer and no additional options for switching off the compressor, could you not stick the transducers signal through a relay and switch it over to a fixed voltage or current signal during defrost/off cycle to give the VSD a false signal and ramp down and off?

Very good observation that I missed :)

The Carel controller can pump down the evaporator before it stops the VFD and starts the defrost, so the VFD should be fine running on suction pressure and being started/stopped by the Mastercella (page 46 onwards) https://www.carel.com/documents/10191/0/+0300083EN/d6c4a966-9629-4630-bbef-9eee048c33a3?version=1.6
Just skimmed through it, but it all seems to be lined out, as long as the controller is set up properly

I'm more used to the danfoss AK-CC550, but the same options are available there.

On older systems where we have retrofitted VFD's to prevent to many start/stops we have fitted a master start/stop switch and ran the signal in series with the LP switch, or in cases when the controller stops the compressor at the same time as it closes the solenoid to the evap, we run the LP switch in parallel, bypassing the controller relay (blue lines).