PDA

View Full Version : Condensate in walkin coolers

hvac01453
10-12-2019, 06:46 PM
I have seen a problem on two different locations of the same issue. A walkin cooler that is collecting condensate on the adjoined wall of a walk in freezer. One customer has the condensate freezing inside the walk in cooler on the top and bottom joints. The other just has condensate that runs down the wall and puddles on the floor inside the cooler. What would cause this issue. Is there excessive moisture in the cooler? The drain is clear... My only thoughts are leaking cabinet gaskets, but why on only one wall....

al
10-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Ventilation is usually the issue, can you get the air moving around the outside of the rooms? Are the panels back to back on the rooms?

martinw58
10-12-2019, 07:57 PM
is there heater at the top and bottom of the wall and is the insulation the correct thickness

B G Scott
10-12-2019, 09:38 PM
If the panels are relatively new then the issue will in all probability be the joints. However if the stores are old it could point to degradation of the insulation.
The walls of the chiller are below the dew point of the air in the store, so you need to consider how these sections of the store walls are reducing in temperature.
As I have said it will point to defective insulation or poor joints.
Go back to basics find out how long the system has operated like this, find out when the problem started.
You say only on one wall, but you don't say which wall but my suspicion it is the wall adjoining the freezer, which leads me back to my point, the wall temperature is below the dew point of the air in the chiller section.

chemi-cool
11-12-2019, 05:33 AM
When I build walk in freezers and chillers, the first thing after it reaches the set point, is inspecting all the joints with a thermal camera to see if there are hot spots.

Its all about moisture getting in.