PDA

View Full Version : Flower cooler

hollow
03-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum. My wife has a floral business and is asking me to turn a room in our warehouse to a cooler. The room is about 10'x20'x10'. I am looking to do it the simplest and cheapest way possible. I have seen some coolers like this in the flower market where we buy the flowers from. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jonjon
03-03-2016, 08:45 PM
i suggest you consult your local hvac engineer

Rob White
03-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum. My wife has a floral business and is asking me to turn a room in our warehouse to a cooler. The room is about 10'x20'x10'. I am looking to do it the simplest and cheapest way possible. I have seen some coolers like this in the flower market where we buy the flowers from. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Flowers are funny things, there still alive and give off fumes, moisture and heat
and therefore you don't want a normal cooler. The nearest thing that is a
easy install is a produce fridge (you know, Brussels sprouts, brockley and others).

It does need to be correctly done otherwise you will either dry the flowers out or
mold and fugus will grow.

Regards

Rob

Magoo
04-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Hi
my book states general storage condition for flowers at 90 to 95% RH and average 2.5 ' C dry buld

Rob White
04-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Hi
my book states general storage condition for flowers at 90 to 95% RH and average 2.5 ' C dry buld

Wow that's like a cold sauna :D

Rob

niceman
04-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Have kept up humidity in produce room where evap drains into top tiers of 4inch plastic guttering with capped ends fitted with raised overflow tube draining down to next tier and final level raised overflow drains to outside. Everything kept well and hi humidity. A good level of water with a good surface area. The guttering was the full width of the room on the wall below and behind the evap.saw it in use once then did it for more fruit and veg customers. Simples.

Magoo
05-03-2016, 02:55 AM
keep all condensate with in the room to maintain max humidity.

chemi-cool
06-03-2016, 05:59 PM
I have done tow big flowers cold rooms in the past for a local florist.

The temp he wanted was 8C with 85% to 90% humidity. Used two large dual discharge evaporators with large fin spacing to avoid drying the air. Two ultrasonic humidifiers for extra humidity when needed.
The use of dual discharge evaporators was to avoid direct air flow on the flowers so they will not dry.
The time you store the flowers is critical, for a short time up to 48 hours in a small room you can simply add humidity with a hand held spray and get low speed fans to keep the air wet.
The cooling unit should be about 15% larger to cool the humid air.

mikeref
07-03-2016, 08:55 AM
In my region, Flowers are divided into Categories. Some rooms run at +2 degrees C while exotic varieties can't withstand anything cooler, so +6 to +8 degrees C is needed.
All varieties are placed in buckets of fresh water, and there has to be no wind chill from the Evaporator.
Evap condensate is drained outside.
Absolutely NO Ripening fruit or Vegetables allowed in any flower Coldrooms.