PDA

View Full Version : R600a/R134a

grump
05-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Hello can you please advise. My Whirlpool Fridge Freezer has lost its charge R600a the compressor nearly cooked its,self but is still pumping model ACC HTK 12 AA.Could I use R134a and get reasonable temperatures with the existing compressor? Would it be possible to recharge the system without scales. I have done this in the past when in Africa squirting gas into the system to get some cooling coming back to the compressor
Thank You Grump

Rob White
05-05-2015, 12:42 PM

Why not do it properly using the correct gas it was designed for?
If the system has leaked out have you found the leak?

Rob

monkey spanners
05-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Oil type is probably wrong for R134a, pressure are all wrong too. So that would be a no.

grump
05-05-2015, 08:03 PM

Why not do it properly using the correct gas it was designed for?
If the system has leaked out have you found the leak?

Rob

Thank you I am pretty sure the leak was on the crimp at the charging port, it was not welded I assume that was because of the R600 . I dont like the idea of using flammable gasses as a refrigerant
In the meantime I agree the sensible thing to do would be to find the leak and use the proper gas
I seem to be making a big deal out of the repair not used to domestic units.
I can borrow all the gear to get it done but have never weighed in such a small amount of gas ,I have not found any information on the charge.
Thank you for your good advice Grump (retired HVAC)

grump
05-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Thank you ,Rob has advised me to find the leak and charge with the proper gas, went off off on a tangent when I found it was charged with R600 it reminds me of the saying" keep it simple stupid"
Thank You Grump

mikeref
06-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Hydrocarbon Fridges use Mineral oil. R134a runs with synthetic.

Had a 3 door bench top display with a Compressor fault recently. R600a. I would have stuck my neck out and fitted a suitable R134a compressor if the original UK compressor model number search gave me the CC displacement. Sigh.