PDA

View Full Version : Where to get old condensing units to repair

steve10
09-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi there,

I am really interested in refrigeration and am studying it as part of my masters. I have done the 2079 gas handling course but a better paying job came along which I couldn't turn down unfortunately. However this does not stop me from pursuing it as a hobby (I hope)!

I would like to be able to get old broken down condensing units (hermetic, semi hermetic, or non hermetic) and repair them. I would then sell them on, only as a way to justify my time, not really for profit.

Does anyone know where I might come across this kind of thing in London?

Also, is this actually possible? What is possible to fix and what is not? For me its the journey into the unknown that excites me so not worried about difficulties, or anything else!

Any advice I can be given would be very much appreciated.

Steve.

monkey spanners
09-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Can't see anyone buying them tbh, any contractor worth his salt could fix them themselves.

You'd be better off just getting some old but working stuff to connect up and play with, simulate faults, set up timers and defrost stats and pressure switches, fit contactors and oveloads and so on.

passandscore
10-12-2013, 02:27 AM
You can try restaurant equipment auctions. They sell equipment "as is" so you will need to troubleshoot and repair minor faults before you can consider re-selling the equipment. Sometimes it is as simple as replacing a thermostat.

frank
10-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately, the only thing we do with our old condensing units is strip them down and put them into the Christmas SCRAP bin :D

steve10
11-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I'd be up for the win-win business part, if you're serious... but not so sure about the holding hands part.

On a serious note though I would really like to get some experience under my belt so if you have some work for me i'd deffo be up for it! I'm a qualified electrician, now working as an electrical engineer in a consultancy, and studying sustainable energy as a masters. I've always enjoyed refrigeration and would jump at the chance to get to work on systems.

frank
11-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd be up for the win-win business part, if you're serious... but not so sure about the holding hands part.

On a serious note though I would really like to get some experience under my belt so if you have some work for me i'd deffo be up for it! I'm a qualified electrician, now working as an electrical engineer in a consultancy, and studying sustainable energy as a masters. I've always enjoyed refrigeration and would jump at the chance to get to work on systems.
I don't think that Shenzen is in the UK :-)

steve10
07-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Damn you Icemachine you old trickster, I thought Shenzen was in Norfolk!.. I'll have the last laugh yet...the last laugh...mwuah ha ha ha