PDA

View Full Version : Blower selection for cold room

Vivek Pandey
16-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi,

I need to select a correctly sized evaporator blower for a cold room I am making.

Size 3.6 m x 2.4 m x 2.4 m
Internal Temp: 3 degrees
Stored material: Fruits and vegetables

How should I go about selecting the blowers i.e. CFM /Blade diameter&RPM, Air throw etc. for the room?

chemi-cool
16-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I advice you to select a ceiling unit that throw the air to both sides rather then a unit that throrow the air from one side, this way you will have more even cooling and the cold air will not blow straight on your veggies,
choose a coil with large fin spacing so it will not dry the air, humidity is very important or your veggies and fruit will feel like a sponge in a short time,
when you select the evaporator, it will have all the info about air throw distance and capacity.

Vivek Pandey
27-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Thank you for your reply. That was helpful!

Another small query- Is it possible to maintain a humidity of over 90% inside the compartment without going for a humidifier if the ambient humidity is around 50%? Or is there is cheaper solution for humidification as compared to something like a centrifugal humidifier?

Thanks.

chemi-cool
27-08-2013, 05:41 PM
The answer is in your question.
90% humidity is very high for 3 C. remeber that evaporating temp will be sub 0C so part of the water in the air will freeze on the fins and go out as water.
If you use a large evaporator with big fin spacing and high air velocity, it will condense less water.

Humidifires come in a few versions, [search goooogle and learn] and you have to choose the size and methode.
it will be controlled by a humidistate.