PDA

View Full Version : nitrozen

question mark
25-06-2013, 10:10 AM
hi guys
i always wonder why nitrogen is called specifically dry nitrogen not just nitrogen.

thanks

RANGER1
25-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Dry as in dry, with no moisture in it.

FreezerGeezer
25-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Back in the UK we called it Oxygen Free Nitrogen - OFN for short. Same stuff we use here afaik.
Not truly Oxygen free, but pure enough that we don't stuff the system with moisture or blow ourselves up with an oil:O2 reaction.

By the way, NEVER put O2 into a fridge system of any type. Last time I know of someone doing that, the ensuing explosion destroyed the bakery & killed everyone inside including the 'fridgy'.

Rob White
25-06-2013, 03:13 PM

As the others have said Dry Nitrogen is the common term for Oxygen Free Nitrogen.

When you think about it, it is quite obvious really.

Water is made up of H2o so if you remove the Oxygen,
moisture (water) can't exist.

Regards

Rob

chilliwilly
25-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Also when its used for pressure testing its at its critical mass pressure, and only shows a neglegible reading on guages when left overnight and the ambience drops. Because it has no other gasses blended with it to expand or contract, and indicate a false leak.

chemi-cool
26-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Dry nitrogen is 99.80% and up pure nitrogen.

FreezerGeezer
26-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Interesting. First time I walked into an Oz BOC & asked for OFN they said that's the pure lab/medical stuff & über expensive. Told me to just ask for Nitrogen. Must be dry I guess, but now I'm curious what the differences actually are.

GC Bermuda
27-06-2013, 12:47 AM
If you really want to know what's in it.....use a nitrox analyser. When calibrated,it will show you the oxygen content.