PDA

View Full Version : R134a

terminator
02-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Hello guys,

New here, but long in the job...;)

Are there any circumstances under which 134a is flammable? Someone is trying to say it is, with a certain % of air, but I've never heard this.

Thanks

wambat
02-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Hello guys,

New here, but long in the job...;)

Are there any circumstances under which 134a is flammable? Someone is trying to say it is, with a certain % of air, but I've never heard this.

Thanks
The following is from MSDS ::)

HFC-134a is not flammable in air at temperatures up to
100 deg. C (212 deg. F) at atmospheric pressure. However, mixtures of HFC-134a with high concentrations of air at elevated pressure and/or temperature can become combustible in the presence of an ignition source. HFC-134a can also become combustible in an oxygen enriched environment
(oxygen concentrations greater than that in air). Whether a mixture containing HFC-134a and air, or HFC-134a in an oxygen enriched atmosphere become combustible depends on
the inter-relationship of 1) the temperature 2) the
pressure, and 3) the proportion of oxygen in the mixture. In general, HFC-134a should not be allowed to exist with air above atmospheric pressure or at high temperatures; or in an oxygen enriched environment. For example HFC-134a should NOT be mixed with air under pressure for leak testing or other purposes.

terminator
02-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks for that.....;)

hybridjunction
03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi terminator.

Today at work I was sweating an accumulator. When I took it off and went to trow it on the ground, a 2 foot flame shot out the end.

This was 134a. But it was the oil and UV dye that caused the flame. Bloody phosgene burns the nose and eyes.