PDA

View Full Version : Whats the prefered solenoid valve location

kengineering
01-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Is it ok to locate a solenoid valve in the refrigerated space next to the evaporator? Such as in the case of a small unit cooler for a reach-in. What are the prefrerred locations for remote installations as well as self contained situations. Ken

US Iceman
01-02-2006, 01:53 AM
I would suggest the solenoid valve be located close to the expansion valve. With the valve close to the TXV, the amount of refrigerant pumped down is limited to the evaporator and the suction line.

If the solenoid valve is close to the receiver, the entire liquid line is pumped out which could take longer.

For small installations such as reach-in cabinets, I don't think the location matters.

In either event, I would suggest the use of a waterproof solenoid coil.

Whose valves are you using?

afeef
01-02-2006, 07:53 AM
hi
yes ,,i beleve that the pumpdown take less time with the solinoid valve be behind evaporator,,,but a disadvantage came here ,,that it is difficult to maintain the s.v. , watching its operation ,
and with relative of this position , the sightglass that must be put after the s.v. ! how can be watched if it located neer evaporaror?
in the small walk-in the s.v. can be located neer evap.
but in the big once , the s.v. must be neer our hands

chillin out
01-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Whats a 's.v.'?

Is it sight glass?

If so the s.g. is normaly fitted to the cond unit. I dont think fitting a s.g. after a solinoid is a good idea, It will be subjected to freezing when the solinoid shuts and the cond unit pumps down.

It may crack the glass.

Chillin:) :)

Latte
01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
I asume SV is Solenoid valve

chillin out
01-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I asume SV is Solenoid valve
Oh yeh.. so it is, my head was getting mashed by the wife talking at the time.

Peter_1
01-02-2006, 10:42 PM
If the solenoid valve is close to the receiver, the entire liquid line is pumped out which could take longer.

And if the line is long from the SV to the TEV, if you open the SV, it will knock very hard on the lines, sometimes bursting elbows.

kengineering
02-02-2006, 01:16 AM
In either event, I would suggest the use of a waterproof solenoid coil.

Whose valves are you using?

I use Sporlan solenoid valves and have not had a water related problem. It can be difficult to check its operation when servicing but other than that it seems to work fine. In a remote display case, med temp, I have always put the solenoid valve just before the TEV, and in some situatons it's the perfect location. My supervisor insists that the cold will cause malfunction of the valve. Ken

US Iceman
02-02-2006, 01:25 AM
My supervisor insists that the cold will cause malfunction of the valve

I don't buy that argument Ken.

The valves get cold every time the system goes through a pump down cycle.

I use the Sporlan components for any small project I am involved in. During my years as a service tech I had much better results with no problems when using Sporlan products.

kengineering
02-02-2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks Iceman.

chillin out
02-02-2006, 09:03 PM
My supervisor insists that the cold will cause malfunction of the valve.
We have put SV`s in cases for years, fridges, freezers never had a problem.

Just make sure they are water-proofed and you should have no problems.

kengineering
03-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Just make sure they are water-proofed and you should have no problems.

When you say "water-proofed" what type precautions should be taken? I would think the coil is sealed so I assume you mean the electrical connections. Could you be more specific on the waterproofing. Ken

Peter_1
03-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Well, that the cable entries can widhstand a humid environment and you install the valves the correct way.
For example the Danfoss valves: the old coils had to be fixed with a top cap with a rubber O-ring in it.
If the valve is standing right, then you don't need tho fix this coil and you see it often installed this way.
But water can then enter between the valve spindle and the coil and during a longer standstill in freezing conditions, it can damage the spindle.

The coils are no made out of one piece (included the extruded top cap) and they click on the valve now so that it is always sealed.
I heard Danfoss modified this coil due to the freezing problems.

slingblade
04-02-2006, 01:58 PM
And then the answer to the puzzle is finally revealed by Gary in the seventh post on this page:

http://www.fridgetech.com/discussions/messages/42/131.htm

with my comments immediately after...

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.