PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Deli salad case evap coils

Coorsman777
13-09-2012, 02:25 PM
We have been having a large problem with the copper evap coils leaking refrigerant due to copper fittings. It is on an service deli case with salads uncovered in the case. Trying to figure out the cause. Is it an ingredient in the salads or possibly in a cleaning solution. They are using a cleaner that contains chlorine. Any information is appreciated.

coolstuf
13-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi Coorsman,

I think the vinegar and sauces can effect the copper. I work on a lot of salad bars and some older coils seem to leak in strange places, not on welds at all, best is to replace the coils every 5 or 6 years.

install monkey
13-09-2012, 09:20 PM
onions too attack the aluminum, maybe blygold, to treat the coil- worth a go

THE DUDE
19-09-2012, 01:13 AM
I believe Acidic product is the main cause. Now figgure in that most dont lift up the fan plenum to WASH off the evap on a regular basis, and the result is Pin holes and Medium size Leaks. And now with " High Efficiency Coils" the Wall of the tubing is so thin that some Evaps are only lasting a few years. Im all for Stainless Coils.

michaelberg1138
19-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I had a similar problem with a Percival incubator used for breeding fruit flies. Apparently, fruit flies produce gaseous acetic acid which will eat aluminum and copper (guess what coils are made of?). You may have a similar problem with the salad dressings. I ordered a replacement coil with a phenolic coating (cost about $400 more) about 5 years ago, the unit still runs fine with no corrosion.

Magoo
20-09-2012, 03:26 AM
The chlorine based cleaners will be attacking the copper and causing pitting.

lowcool
20-09-2012, 07:07 AM
the dudes on the money.
either go for a coil that cant be attacked or have one made with thicker wall piping.coils ive coated myself have outlasted the manufacturers coatings in most instances.a fully flooded coil will aid life expectancy also.
thanks to our lovely carbon tax here ive given up repairing natural convection evaps and add leak seal then hope like hell that the system has had a reasonable install and service before hand.

Coorsman777
21-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I think I am going to start specifying "Bronzeglo" dipped coils to fight this. These coils are probably account for 2/3 of the leaks repaired and gas added in our stores.

Magoo
22-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Hi Coorsman.
if you experiencing leaks on silfos welded joints, the phosphorus in the silfos is possibly reacting with cleaning agents, then spec., coils welds with 50/50 silver rods and as well coating treatment. Alternatively stainless steel coils. Better still get client to use a PH neutral cleaning agent.
magoo.

FEISTY
23-09-2012, 12:39 AM
In self contained units the coil manufacturers have recognized this problem and factory coat them. If I have advance warning and can order walk-in evap coils where acidic uncovered products are stored or in keg beer coolers, I will sell the coils coated when built. Check the aluminum fins of either style coil. The fins powder and turn white indicating airbourne acidic chemicals. If just the copper surfaces and green and/or oily, look to cleaning chemicals being the problem. I bought a self-contained coil cleaning unit that is rechargable, using 2 separate chambers to hold chemical and water supply. I always like " toys " but this one really works. Minimum chemical used and instant washdown makes a big difference. Speedclean.com makes it and is available all over.