PDA

View Full Version : Rotolock Valves

Abe
22-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Why dont Le Unite Hermetique design the valve so one can hold the valve securely with a wrench on one side whilst tightening the nut onto the compressor body.

How do you tighten yours??

:)

chillin out
22-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I just put the wrench onto the nut and hold the pipe. If the flare knacks I make a new one, but more often than not the flare stays good.

Chillin:) :)

phil68
22-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Why dont Le Unite Hermetique design the valve so one can hold the valve securely with a wrench on one side whilst tightening the nut onto the compressor body.

How do you tighten yours??

:)
Yep, I've cursed about that one myself, they really haven't thought about it. I find that if you take the stem cap & both port caps off you can just about get an adjustable spanner on the flats of the valve body & then using another spanner at a very small angle you can tighten it between your thumb & fingers.

chillin out
22-12-2005, 10:00 PM
securely with a wrench

put the wrench

the adjustable wrenches

an adjustable spanner
Here is another question for you...

Does anybody own or ever use a proper spanner set?

zimbo
22-12-2005, 10:20 PM
yes i have a spanner set imperial and metric and use it on specific jobs, good for rebuilding compressors etc as adjustables can somtimes round corners on bolts.

Zimbo

phil68
22-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Here is another question for you...

Does anybody own or ever use a proper spanner set?

A what? No m8 all I've got in me toolbag is an adjustable spanner from the pound shop, a big hammer & bathroom silicone for the gas leaks;)

Andy W
23-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I remove the plastic stem cap and slide a box spanner along the threads, mine is big enough to clear the threads with out damaging them and slides straight onto the round part after the threads, have done it like this for years on roto locks. I use to use a ring spanner the same way but found the box spanner to be much better in tight spaces.

Peter_1
23-12-2005, 09:22 AM
That's the way I'm doing it.
Perhaps this is a box spanner.
Took the picture yesterday evening on a scrap compressor.
Bought the whole set spanners (keys?) for +/- 20€, not quality tools but they're good for what I'm using them.
You can make this in fact yourself Aiyub with a short piece of iron tube and weld a rod on it. The valves are allways the same size.
Or use a threated 1/2" T-piece (drill a litlle bit wider, just remove the threads)like they use in heating systems and screw in the T a tube of 1 inch long as a handle. See last picture I took 5 minutes ago

Abe
23-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Peter

Thats a really great way of doing it.

Pictures are really good , Im going to make one .

Thank You

slingblade
23-12-2005, 10:55 AM
A long reach socket and extension bar does the same thing.

dogma
23-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey guys, How do you loosen and tighten your gland nuts in tight spaces???

I had a boiler maker make me a special tool about 35mm long from hardened steel with a 50mm handle welded to it. Is there a product out there designed for the job or do most use nut f*ckers (adjustable spanners).

Brian_UK
23-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, How do you loosen and tighten your gland nuts in tight spaces???Me, I just leave my hands in my pockets and hope that no-one is looking :p ;)

chillin out
24-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Me, I just leave my hands in my pockets and hope that no-one is looking
It took a minute or 2 to get that.....roflmao

guy in blue van
08-02-2006, 01:28 AM
will need to grab the tire iron next compressor change out

Abe
08-02-2006, 06:18 PM
The tyre wheel nut spanner might just be the job!!
The Unite is a brilliant compressor.......

But a real lousy rotolock valve