PDA

View Full Version : Swapping A Reciprocating compressor with a Scroll

roberzie
12-07-2012, 03:47 AM
I have a bad bristol reciprocating compresssor model H23B22QABCA. Johnstone supply lists a scroll ZR22K3PFV930 as a s asubstitute. Has anybody ever heard of changing a reciprocating compressor with a scroll? Do changes have to be made to the evaporator?

NoNickName
12-07-2012, 07:34 AM
ZR22 is Copeland. That's not a substitute, it's probably a compressor just with the same capacity.

monkey spanners
12-07-2012, 05:45 PM
The refrigerant or system doesn't care what type or make of compressor it has, just so long as the duties, refrigerant type and voltage etc match up it should work ok.

But like NNN says, a ZR22 is not a direct replacement as pipework, electrics, etc will be different (not sure on duty, ref type) You'll also likely need to by a cch seperatly for the copeland.

install monkey
12-07-2012, 06:53 PM
10yr ago i had a prestold k100 for a walk in freezer die- after travelling 100mile to the job find the compressor died- found a replacement 100 mile away- drove to collect it as it was a hotel and the stock was defrosting- found that bernie had flogged it-but the computer said there was 1 there- travelled another 20mile to hrp warrington to have to get a complete condensing unit- scroll, the displacement was the same but i cnt remember why but you had to go 25% bigger as i think it was down to the low rpm of the recip but its still working after repiping it,re wiring it- so as long as you have it in writing that it is a suitable replacement-then go for it-youve covered ur ass

al
12-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Replaced preston recips with scrolls as the original compressors were no longer made, did it a number of years ago, was on rooftop packaged york units, adapted pipe work, electrics are the same but replace contactor anyway, the scroll tends to twist on startup/shut down (not the dance...), so a vibration eliminator may be needed.

al