PDA

View Full Version : Fan Not Running on small fridge unit

willetts
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Evening,

I have been asked to have a look at the fan not running on a small commercial fridge. Apparently all the plant is inside, and there is a controller externally on the wall.

I am more of a AC engineer than a fridge guy. Any ideas of where to start.

Obviously Ill check that voltage is there ect,

a plan of attack would be great, id usually stay well away but this is for a long standing customer, and i am looking at it for them as a favour.

install monkey
02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
evap fan not running on a coldroom- siezed- try spinning it with a screwdriver.
no power- possibly circuit breaker/fuse- door switch on door-link it out as a temporary
or evap coil temp too warm and coldrex panel holding it off due to too warm- could be anything- if youve got an ac background then its easier to work on a fridge than give a fridgie a city multi fault- personal unbiased opinion!

charlie patt
02-05-2012, 09:42 PM
spot on install a very wise engineer told me a long time ago on my first ac breakdown i was used to fridge only the circuits are nearly the same no mater what you work on it will have a comp a condensor a metering device a evap and control and no mater how complicated it gets the basics are the same it was just the fact the sod forgot to tell me about pcbs

jdunc2301
02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
What he said, everyone's unbiased opinion lol

Chances are it will be a small silver fan motor...pretty easy to fault find give it a spin and see if its stiff.

evap fan not running on a coldroom- siezed- try spinning it with a screwdriver.
no power- possibly circuit breaker/fuse- door switch on door-link it out as a temporary
or evap coil temp too warm and coldrex panel holding it off due to too warm- could be anything- if youve got an ac background then its easier to work on a fridge than give a fridgie a city multi fault- personal unbiased opinion!

andy9188
02-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi willetts,

Please provide more information. What type of equipment is this? Is it a display unit or a walk in chiller. And which fan is not running the Evaporator or condenser?

Andy

willetts
02-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I havent looked at it yet guys, thats all i have been told on the phone, who knows what I'll see when I get there. Its prob not even a fridge!

install monkey
02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
its just familarising yourself with the set up- chances are your lucky and find it out on a pressure switch or a pool of oil round the blow off plug . then dig deeper to interogate -sometimes pulling ur hair out to try and unlock the temp cotroller to check diff, alarm parameters,defrosts.
all fun- until u get the walkin butchers freezer with a 10ft long coil with defrost heaters blown-shiverring whilst standing on dead animals -warmer than step ladders and quicker too.

jdunc2301
02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi Willetts,

You work for ACS....im a Refrigeration and AC service engineer...you guys got any vacancies at the moment....I could handle these Refrigeration calls ;)......but im being serious...I live in Northants, drop me a message

J

install monkey
02-05-2012, 09:51 PM
its only a fridge when its below +5 above that its fooked! haha

I havent looked at it yet guys, thats all i have been told on the phone, who knows what I'll see when I get there. Its prob not even a fridge!

jdunc2301
02-05-2012, 09:51 PM
:DWalk in butcher chillers.....tell me you've punched the dead animal hanging from the ceiling.......or is it just me...had a "im a bad ass moment"

its just familarising yourself with the set up- chances are your lucky and find it out on a pressure switch or a pool of oil round the blow off plug . then dig deeper to interogate -sometimes pulling ur hair out to try and unlock the temp cotroller to check diff, alarm parameters,defrosts.
all fun- until u get the walkin butchers freezer with a 10ft long coil with defrost heaters blown-shiverring whilst standing on dead animals -warmer than step ladders and quicker too.

install monkey
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
subtle-haha

Hi Willetts,

You work for ACS....im a Refrigeration and AC service engineer...you guys got any vacancies at the moment....I could handle these Refrigeration calls ;)......but im being serious...I live in Northants, drop me a message

J

jdunc2301
02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Got to ask....never know haha

subtle-haha

install monkey
02-05-2012, 09:55 PM
i just chucked 3lb chickens at the aussie as he was a miserable c**t - always moaning about the uk weather-
surprizingly aussie kev(not kev the tool) went back to aus after 18 months of working with me-once superglued his work boots to a window to teach him health and safety! haha
wasnt in to rocky -
:DWalk in butcher chillers.....tell me you've punched the dead animal hanging from the ceiling.......or is it just me...had a "im a bad ass moment"