PDA

View Full Version : Stupid to place an A/C inside the mosquito net?

Odin78
24-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Ok, this is probably a stupid question, however I really need to know if this can be done...

I've got 4 apartments here in Brazil that I'm renting out. Over every bed there is a mosquito net and a split LG A/C, 12000btu cooling a 40m3 (440sqf) apartment. The problem is that it takes forever to cool down inside the mosquito net. It's almost as if the net acts like an insulator. The apartment cools down to the given temperature after about 1 hour, however its always a few degrees higher inside the net.

Is it possible to build the net around the A/C so it starts cooling down the air inside the net first? The bed and net is fairly big, but I understand that it can get very cold very quickly this way, but then again you probably could raise the thermostat a few degrees and save energy as well? Or am I completely out in the wild here? Would this have any consequences on the way the A/C operates, or any health issues related to doing this?

Any comments appreciated.

Magoo
25-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Thinking laterally, make each apartment effectively a big mozzi net, ie keep all windows etc., closed and air condition the apartment, any fresh air input fans have hepa filtration. Plus would be more efficient to close off all windows and what ever, to acheive a closed atmosphere enviroment, if necessary install screens on bedroom windows.

RSTC
26-03-2012, 03:22 PM
It's an interesting question, but one you have answered yourself - the net is an insulator. Also even though it is netting and will let air pass through it, air will always take the least line of resistance i.e. being returning back to the fan rather than bothering permeating the netting.

Is the unit ducted? If so you could possibly take an extract from within the netting forcing the conditioned air through the net. Talk to your local ventilation contractor or building services consultant.

The only way you will comprehensively control the temperature inside the tent though, is some local cooling eg a high wall mounted unit.