PDA

View Full Version : Seized scroll unit

supra_84
16-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Installed a Scroll Unit yesterday. Now its taking out the overload, Had a electrician out to it, its creeping up 30 odd amps tripping, Sounds like its seized up.

Now ive done it with prescold units, bringing them back to life pouring oil into them.

guess what im asking is, if the compressor definetly didnt have any oil in it (no sight glass visable not checked in factory)
And i get it going, would you trust to leave it. As its a one shot fix and obviously dont want to be repeat visting not being close, Or make myself lots of work converting it to a bristol, altering pipe work.

install monkey
16-02-2012, 09:43 PM
is it 3 phase? check your getting 415v accross phases- 2 phasing can cause overload trip and indicate a siezed compressor- did you change the contactor/overload? why did the last compressor die?

supra_84
16-02-2012, 09:49 PM
It was a new installation, The contactor, overload is bran new. Its not a voltage issue.

It was a secound hand condensing unit. Amp meter is reading 30 odd amps

Gonna give it a oil top up see what happens.

When i charged it yesterday it ran fine but suspect not enough oil in the system to start with.

Its got 2 chances anyway

monkey spanners
16-02-2012, 09:52 PM
New system/installation or replacement of failed comp?

Did the old comp die the same death?.....

Is it under warranty? (though lack of oil won't be covered)

If its a copeland you need a special oil with some aditives to stop foaming. (assuming its ester oil)

supra_84
16-02-2012, 09:58 PM
complete system, DX cooling.

My biggest problem will be the embarassment of it lasting 24 hours lol

Mind you we always joke that the warranty lasts till the end of the farm drive.

install monkey
16-02-2012, 10:03 PM
did u energise the crankcase heater for 24hrs?

supra_84
16-02-2012, 10:11 PM
You dont want to no my reply!

Do you do this with all compressors?

monkey spanners
16-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Sounds about right for a farm! Try some more oil in it, they'll have burnt it out running it on the genny or something before it seizes again LOL

I got another three years out of an old semi prestcold that seized up, you could see smoke in the oil sight glass as the squeeking got louder! by putting some poe oil in it.

I'm sure you would anyway but check the capacitor is still good if its single phase.

supra_84
16-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Sounds about right for a farm! Try some more oil in it, they'll have burnt it out running it on the genny or something before it seizes again LOL

I got another three years out of an old semi prestcold that seized up, you could see smoke in the oil sight glass as the squeeking got louder! by putting some poe oil in it.

I'm sure you would anyway but check the capacitor is still good if its single phase.

Yea gonna stick some oil in it, Poor thing had its work cut out anyway 28 in tank, You can imagine the back pressures!

early start anyway better get there, before its butter!

monkey spanners
16-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Had a customer forget to trun the tank on first milking, noticed next morning, it was cool when i got there but had gone all lumpy like making cheese, had to drain it all out and unclog everthing so it would wash ok.

Good luck!

install monkey
16-02-2012, 10:39 PM
supra- you have to cover all bases on here - ther are some real numb c**ts out there!
QUOTE=supra_84;253320]You dont want to no my reply!

Do you do this with all compressors?[/QUOTE]

Magoo
17-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Does it have a crankcase pressure regulator.

Magoo
17-02-2012, 12:40 AM
With high vat temps and low ambients , the flow rate through compressor without CPR would be outside design envelop and oil carry would occur.