PDA

View Full Version : Strage Pipework Configuration

marc5180
01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Evening chaps,

I got called out to an air handling unit today that wasn't working due to a compressor that was 'down to earth'.

Whilst i was there i looked at the pipework and couldn't figure it out.

The system is a reverse cycle heat pump and so has a 4 way reversing valve but only 1 electronic expansion valve.

The thing i was struggling with was - the liquid line into the expansion valve came from both coils into a common liquid line, into the expansion valve and then out and into the top of both coils so in effect both coils were getting cooling. There is none return valves in the pipework but they allow flow into and out of both coils.

Yet also one coil would be getting heat depending on the mode so how can this work.

See picture below

install monkey
01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
if it has worked previously then it should be ok,is the drier bi flow?-it should work -whose kit is it?

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi Marc

I would draw out the pipework configuration and include NRV direction & I think it will all fall into place mate

If not upload the drawing and will work through it with you

You have said it works when switched from heat/cooling

So I presume (maybe wrongly) that the additional pipework is to aid recovering refrigerant from one side to another, to aid in switching heat/cooling vice versa quicker

R's chillerman

install monkey
01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
maybe send marc some crayons so he can colour it in?

marc5180
01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
This is the thing, it's only 3 months old and a compressor has gone down. It's my first visit to the site and have never seen these units actually work but can only presume they must have.

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Whats make model ? mate

Can try to find flow chart or someone might have one

airconadam
01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey guys,

Were the expansion device is on the top of the picture and were its lagged,

so if this sytem is on cooling the evap is on the left which goes through the metal cover and the condenser is on the right,

When this is on cooling we also get saturated liquid going down the lagged line into the evap BUT also going back into the condenser???

When on cooling this lagged pipe is 8 deg c throughout,

Adam:D

marc5180
01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi Marc

I would draw out the pipework configuration and include NRV direction & I think it will all fall into place mate

If not upload the drawing and will work through it with you

You have said it works when switched from heat/cooling

So I presume (maybe wrongly) that the additional pipework is to aid recovering refrigerant from one side to another, to aid in switching heat/cooling vice versa quicker

R's chillerman

I've drawn it out and it doesn't make sense. How can a coil produce heating if there is also a low pressure,saturated liquid/vapour mix going into the coil?? Unless it is acting as a liquid/suction heat exchanger i.e superheating the suction and subcooling the liquid.

I didn't say it worked when switched from heat to cool because the compressor had failed. Maybe there is a simple explanation and i'm missing something

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Adam

still none the wiser mate, dunno if marc understood what affect this has

can you hit us with that again with more detail mate

R's chillerman

airconadam
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Also there is 4 of these units on site as marc says they are only 3 months old!!

and only 3 out of the 4 are actually working due to failed compressors!!!:eek:

Adam

marc5180
01-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Its from a company in manchester that make them to order, it's not possible to get piping specifications unless i speak to them direct which i will on Monday.

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
What I am thinking mark is whilst you have a higher pressure in the condensor than the liquid line the NRV allows that refrigerant to mix with the liquid line on switch over to heating, enabling a faster change from cooling to heating and then vice versa when switching from heating back to cooling....the nrv's are pressure controlled check valves

install monkey
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
air handlers-by any chance-if theyre only 3mth old then theres warranty i assume-surely u just have to point out whats f****d haha

airconadam
01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Hey chillerman,

no worries

I will try but its difficult trying to explain over writing,and always difficult when looking at pictures like that,

anyway, on cooling the discharge goes into the right coil (condenser) on the middle pipe which isnt lagged below that at the bottom right of the pic is the liquid,

you can see were it goes up through the filter drier through the sight glass then onto the expansion valve, this is all ok but after the exp valve, the saturated liquid should surely only go to the evap through the metel sheet?

In this case as it comes out it goes into the evap, and also the nrv is also directed so it goes back into the condenser onto the right??

If you look at the picture were i have ripped the lagging to reveal the nrv's they both point outwards to the edge of the screen,

hth

Adam:D

marc5180
01-10-2011, 08:20 PM
air handlers-by any chance-if theyre only 3mth old then theres warranty i assume-surely u just have to point out whats f****d haha

Yeah i have done but i still want to understand it mate, which is why i'm not an install monkey :D

marc5180
01-10-2011, 08:27 PM
The arrows are the directions of the non return valves.

We have 3 pipes going into each coil and the way the non return valves are positioned then each coil uses all 3 pipes in each coil.

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Irrelevant

al
01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Are all the units piped this way, ie is the NRV backwards?

al

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Evening Al

you know this kit better than me mate

are these bypass check valves for cooling/heating switch over ?

or have I missunderstood this setup ?

R's chillerman

al
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Also when the eev shuts it will act as an NRV.

On a site last year i found some airedale heat pumps piped wrong in the factory.

al

yinmorrison
01-10-2011, 09:13 PM
The discharge pipes must go through the plate and tee into the expansion line after the eev but that is not shown so presumably there is no access to see that. Therefore when a coil is used as the condenser the high pressure vapour cannot go back through the NRV and into the EEV outlet and so the liquid refrigerant will only pass through the EEV and go to the cooling coil as the pressure on the other side of the NRV on the condenser side is higher.

marc5180
01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes i understand what your saying, our initial thought was the NRVs were in the wrong way round but even if they were turned round then i still can't see how it could work.
The position the NRVs are in then they serve no purpose as they don't prevent liquid from entering the coil as far as i'm aware.

yinmorrison
01-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Marc the NRV's are required , if you take them out you will bypass hot gas into the expansion line of the coil doing the cooling.The refrigerant in the expansion line will take the path of least resistance so the NRV effectively is stopping the discharge gas from short circuiting.

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 09:25 PM
The discharge pipes must go through the plate and tee into the expansion line after the eev but that is not shown so presumably there is no access to see that. Therefore when a coil is used as the condenser the high pressure vapour cannot go back through the NRV and into the EEV outlet and so the liquid refrigerant will only pass through the EEV and go to the cooling coil as the pressure on the other side of the NRV on the condenser side is higher.

Hi Yin

the lagged tube is liquid line after eev then ?

and at suction pressure ?

R's chillerman

yinmorrison
01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
You got it Chillerman.

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Yin

So some made up figures to make it easier to understand

we have 10 bar discharge & 4 bar suction

the lagged tubework and which ever coil is currently the evaporator are at 4 bar

the nrv is open at equalised pressure to the current evaporator

the heating/condensing coil is at 10 bar at a higher pressure

so the nrv prevents high pressure vapour/liquid entering the low pressure liquid feed to evaporator

Nice one Yin

R's chillerman

yinmorrison
01-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Marc, I would suggest the problem you have with these AHU's is that there is only the one EEV. If you assume ( never do that myself !! ) that the coils are sized so that one is selected as the evaporator and one the condenser then how can the SH be set up to cover the different size coils , you will almost certainly have the EEV set correctly for one of the coils and therefore either way when the other coils is used as the evap you will have too little or too much SH, I suggest you take this up with the AHU Manufacturer before losing more compressors.

marc5180
01-10-2011, 09:45 PM
The plate was pot rivotted on so i was unable to lok behind it at the pipework- i did try.
So the NRVs are pressure controlled?
In other words when the discharge pressure goes through the coil and tries to come out on the liquid line (heading towards the EEV) this puts pressure on the NRV and prevents the liquid coming from the EEV from passing through the NRV into the coil even though the directional arrow shows that it should pass through

yinmorrison
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Thats it Marc , because it is on the expansion line so at lower pressure on EEV outlet and cannot pass through NRV due to high discharge pressure on other side of it , I still say its the single EEV that is the problem unless of course the EEV control system alters when the system is reversed to take account of the different coil sizes.

marc5180
01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
The compressors are copeland digital scrolls and the superheat is controlled by a dital ED3C?? emerson controller that constantly monitors the superheat and adjusts it accordingly.

chillerman2006
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Yin

also when switching from heating to cooling what is stopping the condensor now evaporator from allowing liquid back to the compressor, as I dont see an accumalator, or there also one hidden behind this plate ?

If not my thinking is liquid coming back will take the compressors out, if its a superheat problem....Marc is there any sign of high temps at compressors - paint cracking, I have seen these copelands run very hot without failure & can also take liquid, but not if enough liquid passes to wash out the oil....was the oil level ok ?

R's chillerman

yinmorrison
01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Not familiar with the Emerson but it still looks like a superheat problem so hope you can sort it out Monday best of luck , I am off to Pub now for a couple of the black stuff : ) Have a guid night.

al
01-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Marc

Assuming the factory have piped correctly, how many compressors have failed on this unit?

al

marc5180
01-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Yin

also when switching from heating to cooling what is stopping the condensor now evaporator from allowing liquid back to the compressor, as I dont see an accumalator, or there also one hidden behind this plate ?

If not my thinking is liquid coming back will take the compressors out, aswell as an unbalanced system in one mode or the other using only one eev

R's chillerman
Good point Chillerman. Think i'm going to have to try and speak to the manufacturers but how the heck to i begin to explain it?
I'll post back on monday if i manage to get any answers.

Thanks everyone who helped out (even you install monkey) :p

marc5180
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Al, there is only one compressor in each AHU and so far 2 AHU's have failed out of 4 with another one of them suspected not working (although this hasn't been confirmed yet).

al
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
ok, did you commission them, are air flows correct for the units and have you operating data from one of the other units to confirm superheat etc, what sort of capacity are they?

al

marc5180
01-10-2011, 10:26 PM
No i didn't commission them, they were commissioned by the manufacturer. Again i can only assume the airflows are correct until i see the commissioning sheets.
The guy who had them wasn't in today but will be next week.

al
01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Is it the customer or manufacturer that is paying you?

al

marc5180
01-10-2011, 11:21 PM
The customer because the manufacturer wasn't able to get there for a few days

al
01-10-2011, 11:30 PM
That makes it a bit easier, can't imagine the customer is too impressed!!

Can you say who made the units?

Did compressors burn out or are they locked rotor?

alec

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Morning Marc

Still thinking about your system

As can not see whats there

If no CPR is fitted maybe you would like to suggest installing one

Aswell as an accumalator, to assist keeping the new compressors safe

R's chillerman

install monkey
02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
any alterations to the system needs approval from air handlers otherwise warranty void!!! and if pots are only lasting 3months ur gonna need that warranty

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 10:07 AM
any alterations to the system needs approval from air handlers otherwise warranty void!!! and if pots are only lasting 3months ur gonna need that warranty

Install

What would you expect to be the cause here of compressor failure, you must see a few of these ?

Also that was why I said ''suggest'' meaning to manufacturer as they have failed to build a reliable system

The Compressor pictured does not appear to have been cooking, possibly liquid return, washing the oil out

R's chillerman

install monkey
02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
no crankcase heater on the pot, system is within the airflow so exposed to 10-40deg ambient, no jacket on the compressor, as u say no suction accumulator or evap press reg, as with air handling units normally 100% fresh air then sticking a cooling coil in there there is not a constant load so theyve done well sticking an electronic expansion valve-at least it will be more responsive, also them check vavles will need checking to ensure theyre not passing as with the 4 way valve as its too easy to chuck a pot in and watch it destroy itself, also i would look at the control strategy, comp restart delat, setpoint differential it should have a free cooling setpoint that usually is set around 16 deg which will stop the mechanical cooling and rely on fresh air.
are the v belts ok,if fitted,panel filters blocked as they normally last 3mth also check alarm history, is there a lp swith on it or transducer, may be sartup of the compressor causing pipework to flex and the lp being auto reset??
are the fans inverter driven whats the minimum speed or is it controlled of duct pressure?
i could nip up to site as its in my hood!!haha

Install

What would you expect to be the cause here of compressor failure, you must see a few of these ?

Also that was why I said ''suggest'' meaning to manufacturer as they have failed to build a reliable system

The Compressor pictured does not appear to have been cooking, possibly liquid return, washing the oil out

R's chillerman

mad fridgie
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
At the beginning.

liquid feeds the expansion valve "EEV", after the EEV, the pressure is higher than the suction and lower than the discharge. the flow will travel to the evap, you can not have discharge pressure flowing back into the valve, because of the check valve (in either operation heat or cool)
Inside i would suggest that the EEV lines are joined to the bottom pipes.
These bottom pipes each have little check valves (you can see one by the sight glass).
These small lines feed into a common receiver, ensuring a liquid seal for the EEV.
Your compressor are likely to be seizing due to oil dilution, increase superheat setting, or add an accumulator after the EEV pressure and temp sensor

marc5180
02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Just sent you a pm Al, the customers not too impressed, especially since the compressors will take 3 weeks to arrive.
1 of the compressors had a resistance to earth on each of the windings of 150 ohms and kept tripping the breaker upon start up.
Not too sure about the other 1 but it looks like it's soft pumping.

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
At the beginning.

liquid feeds the expansion valve "EEV", after the EEV, the pressure is higher than the suction and lower than the discharge. the flow will travel to the evap, you can not have discharge pressure flowing back into the valve, because of the check valve (in either operation heat or cool)
These bottom pipes each have little check valves (you can see one by the sight glass).
These small lines feed into a common receiver, ensuring a liquid seal for the EEV.
Your compressor are likely to be seizing due to oil dilution, increase superheat setting, or add an accumulator after the EEV pressure and temp sensor

Evening Mad

If you was to add an accumalator to this system, what sort of size would you go for ?

R's chillerman

marc5180
02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
At the beginning.

Morning MF, I was hoping you would pop in ;)

I was thinking last night about the other AHU's from the same manufacturer that we look after and they do have accumulators fitted.
I began to think about this system and it must have one fitted, if you look at the suction coming off the 4way rv, that then goes into the accumulator and then back out into the suction of the compressor.

marc5180
02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Evening Mad

If you was to add an accumalator to this system, what sort of size would you go for ?

R's chillerman
Chillerman,
A suction line accumulator should be sufficiently sized to hold the entire charge of the system.

install monkey
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
a liq reciever should be able to hold the full system charge an accumulator only needs to accomodate any liquid that hasnt boiled of in the evap thus ensuring only vapour returns to the compressor http://www.stara.co.kr/parker_catalog/sporlan_catalog/40-10-7.pdf

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Chillerman,
A suction line accumulator should be sufficiently sized to hold the entire charge of the system.

Hi Marc

should it ?

you got me, when it comes to designing and component choice

but does seem excessive to me mate

If correct ...would you say this units accumalator is big enough ?

R;s chillerman

install monkey
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
http://www.stara.co.kr/parker_catalog/sporlan_catalog/40-10-7.pdf
Hi Marc

should it ?

you got me, when it comes to designing and component choice

but does seem excessive to me mate

If correct ...would you say this units accumalator is big enough ?

R;s chillerman

marc5180
02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
On a heat pump air conditioner the defrost is nearly (if not always) carried out by the hot gas method, i.e. the reversing valve is energised to flood the outdoor coil with "hot gas". As this coil will be 90% full of liquid it will be pushed down the suction line and has to be collected by the accumulator to protect the compressor - hence the accumulator must be able to hold the entire charge.

install monkey
02-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Systems with a thermostatic expansion valve (TEV), the
accumulator holding capacity should be approximately 50%
of the system charge.
from parker

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 01:04 PM
On a heat pump air conditioner the defrost is nearly (if not always) carried out by the hot gas method, i.e. the reversing valve is energised to flood the outdoor coil with "hot gas". As this coil will be 90% full of liquid it will be pushed down the suction line and has to be collected by the accumulator to protect the compressor - hence the accumulator must be able to hold the entire charge.

Argh, I see cheers

So does the hidden accumalator have that capacity, mate

(marc's thinking ''I started this thread for answers not starting up a training school:eek: )

R's chillerman

stufus
02-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I could be wrong but....I always thought a suction accumulator should be sized for 50% of refrigerant charge and a liquid receiver was 100% of charge.
Cheers
Stu

install monkey
02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.refrigerationbasics.com/1024x768/heat_pumps1.htm
in defrost mode the liq still travels through the 4 way valve and creates cooling in the evap thats why ur indoor fan slows down whilst in defrost mode

install monkey
02-10-2011, 01:10 PM
stu u are wrong,but u are correct! brownie point for u!!

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
http://www.stara.co.kr/parker_catalog/sporlan_catalog/40-10-7.pdf

Thanks Install

have kept a copy of that, a useful bit of info Cheers

I could be wrong but....I always thought a suction accumulator should be sized for 50% of refrigerant charge and a liquid receiver was 100% of charge.
Cheers
Stu

Hi Stu

as per 'Installs' link you would be correct mate on refrigeration systems

But it does not state clearly for systems with reverse cycle or for heat pumps

And 'Marc s' comment makes sense, would you agree ?

R's chillerman

marc5180
02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Haha far from it CM,
Install, i've read what Parker say that and by the size of the accumulator that is fitted then i would say they have probably used one that is 30-50% of the entire charge but what happens if a componet fails.
The size of an accumulator is based upon the size of the error, and the likelihood of the error you think can occur

marc5180
02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Haha far from it CM,
Install, i've read what Parker say that and by the size of the accumulator that is fitted then i would say they have probably used one that is 30-50% of the entire charge but what happens if a componet fails.
The size of an accumulator is based upon the size of the error, and the likelihood of the error you think can occur

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
irrelevant

install monkey
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
you dont have the power to give fractions yet! haha-nike 123 give me a pic of a pint of guiness and a bird wrapped in duct tape- that wasnt frowned upon!!

marc5180
02-10-2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.refrigerationbasics.com/1024x768/heat_pumps1.htm
in defrost mode the liq still travels through the 4 way valve and creates cooling in the evap thats why ur indoor fan slows down whilst in defrost mode
Liquid travels through a 4 way valve?? Where?

On a 4 way rv you have discharge and suction vapour pressures not liquid.

install monkey
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
my bad
http://www.refrigerationbasics.com/1024x768/hp_heat_fill.jpg

stufus
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Suction accumulators are also system specific IE you should not use a standard SA on a heatpump system due to the orifice size being to big and allowing liquid slugging to the compressor especially in heating.
http://www.henrytech.com/Tips/HT-TT14.pdf
C (http://www.henrytech.com/Tips/HT-TT14.pdf)heers
Stu

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
irrelevant

monkey spanners
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I've heard half system charge as a rule of thumb for accumilator sizing.

Jon :)

install monkey
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
chillerman

al
02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks Marc

You've had one electrical fault and the other sounds like liquid flood back, i'm with install on this,these dx units must be held off in ambients below 16c, i know theres plenty of heat at the minute but i doubt that was the case before this week? If the units are required to run in lower ambients you've a sizing issue. I can't imagine a heat pump with no accumulator, so look at control strategy and airflow first, see Gary we do listen!!

al

install monkey
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
hmmm-post missed with all the chat over accumulators-other points to consider-
no crankcase heater on the pot, system is within the airflow so exposed to 10-40deg ambient, no jacket on the compressor, as u say no suction accumulator or evap press reg, as with air handling units normally 100% fresh air then sticking a cooling coil in there there is not a constant load so theyve done well sticking an electronic expansion valve-at least it will be more responsive, also them check vavles will need checking to ensure theyre not passing as with the 4 way valve as its too easy to chuck a pot in and watch it destroy itself, also i would look at the control strategy, comp restart delay, setpoint differential it should have a free cooling setpoint that usually is set around 16 deg which will stop the mechanical cooling and rely on fresh air.
are the v belts ok,if fitted,panel filters blocked as they normally last 3mth also check alarm history, is there a lp swith on it or transducer, may be sartup of the compressor causing pipework to flex and the lp being auto reset??
are the fans inverter driven whats the minimum speed or is it controlled of duct pressure?

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Install

Just because no-one replied to your post the last time round

R's chillerman

install monkey
02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
my post co

MikeHolm
02-10-2011, 03:40 PM
irrelevant

install monkey
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
molson per

MikeHolm
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
irrelevant

MikeHolm
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
irrevelant

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
irrelevant

install monkey
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
is that ur

MikeHolm
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
irrelevant

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
irrelevant

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
irrelevant

marc5180
02-10-2011, 07:43 PM
11 posts spamming.....

marc5180
02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks Marc

You've had one electrical fault and the other sounds like liquid flood back, i'm with install on this,these dx units must be held off in ambients below 16c, i know theres plenty of heat at the minute but i doubt that was the case before this week? If the units are required to run in lower ambients you've a sizing issue. I can't imagine a heat pump with no accumulator, so look at control strategy and airflow first, see Gary we do listen!!

al
These units are only designed to temper the air and so run all year round using a recouperator and a mixture of fresh air and return air
When the outdoor temp gets to cold they use full return recirculation with minimum fresh air.
The minimum air onto the coil is 18DegC.

al
02-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Check the accumulators for size and correct piping (inlet/outlet), could be worth getting a thermal camera for a day to see what's going on?
al

marc5180
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
no crankcase heater on the pot Not all compressors have visible crankcases though do they? Many of them have a voltage going through the windings to heat the compressor a few degrees.

system is within the airflow so exposed to 10-40deg ambient, no jacket on the compressor Minimum air onto these coils/compressors is 18DegC

also i would look at the control strategy, comp restart delay, setpoint differential it should have a free cooling setpoint that usually is set around 16 deg which will stop the mechanical cooling and rely on fresh air.
Compressor restart delay is 6 min. These have a recouperator that mixes fresh air and return air and if the temp is still too high/low then the compressors will be brought on. The setpoint for the building is 21/22 degress C so the compressors don't need to be on often....supposedly.

are the v belts ok,if fitted,panel filters blocked Filter/belts ok

alarm history, is there a lp swith on it or transducer, may be sartup of the compressor causing pipework to flex and the lp being auto reset??
Yes theres an LP switch on it, looked at alarm history and found only the 1 LP fault.
Compressor flex and reset the LP alarm ?? Can that happen??

are the fans inverter driven whats the minimum speed or is it controlled of duct pressure? Yes the fans are inverter driven and have been commissioned to run at 50hz

Lol, Nip up to the site to do what?

marc5180
02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Thermal camera? To check what?

al
02-10-2011, 08:17 PM
check the accumulator for a start, also check your 4 way valve and NRV's.

In fairness this is either the site completely screwing up the units or they have been misapplied or specced?

al

mad fridgie
02-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Copeland say that the scroll is compliant, it can handle liquid flood back ( a slug of liquid), say after defrost, in this case it is the position of the EEV temp and pressure sensor causing prolonged oil dilution,
Accumulator size, without knowing all the data I would just go for one which is has the same size pipe as the comp inlet. You could even look a suction/liquid line heat exchanger (between the EEV sensor and the comp)

al
02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
MF, i've found scrolls less tolerant of flood back, more inclined to wash oil out and not return it, accumulator would be essential as you say.

al

marc5180
02-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Thats a good idea al, I may suggest that.

When i find out more i'll update the thread, thanks for your input. Much appreciated

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Gents

just a quick thought as bed time for me

dont certain copeland scroll models have built in accumalators that allows them to take full liquid and boils it off by compressor heat ???

R's chillerman

mad fridgie
02-10-2011, 09:23 PM
MF, i've found scrolls less tolerant of flood back, more inclined to wash oil out and not return it, accumulator would be essential as you say.

al

Before I starting producing my units, I did considerable testing on the scrolls, and found that under certain circumstances liquid return was a problem, so even though the tech data says i do not need a accumulator, I do fit one, in my mind it is cheap protection.

CM; copeland scrolls do not have a built in Acc, Maneurope recip comps do. (twin shell)

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Before I starting producing my units, I did considerable testing on the scrolls, and found that under certain circumstances liquid return was a problem, so even though the tech data says i do not need a accumulator, I do fit one, in my mind it is cheap protection.

CM; copeland scrolls do not have a built in Acc, Maneurope recip comps do. (twin shell)

Thanks Mad

Thought I was going 'mad' when the thought appeared in me head, argh so its maneuropes (recips) Cheers for correction

Also picked up a site with a right mickey mouse abortion of a setup (1st visit today) with 4 copeland scrolls, it looks a right b*tch to change 3 of the four compressors

Mad, in your eyes, whats the perfect suction superheat for copeland scrolls (as I need them to purr for ever)

R's chillerman

r.bartlett
03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Is anyone doing a failure test on the failed compressors

install monkey
03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Can Copeland Scroll compressors handle liquid?

ANSWER: Scrolls handle liquid better than most other compressor types, but still can require additional accessories for optimal protection. Those accessories include: Accumulators are recommended for systems with large refrigerant charge or those that allow for uncontrolled refrigerant floodback. Crankcase heaters are required for three-phase systems with large refrigerant charge and in/outdoor applications.

ref copelands website

marc5180
30-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Just to update the thread. The system was found to have a leak on the equalising line. The manufacturers went back to site to repair.
Thanks to everyone who contributed

al
30-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Nice one Marc, thanks for the closure!!

al