View Full Version : Howden WRV -------5.8Vi

RANGER1
31-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Has anyone worked on or overhauled a Howden WRV series with 5.8 Vi
plates in them ?

Are they very common in industry?

Grizzly
31-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I have not yet come across them Ranger, however I don't work on to many Howdens!
Grizzly

josef
31-07-2011, 12:49 PM
RANGER1
Hi, sorry but never heard Vi 5.8, more than I know Vi 5.
Is it possible that I was wrong, but did not meet.

RANGER1
31-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Grizzly/josef,

I guess they are rare as they only operate under certain conditions probably outside standard refrigeration.
Maybe they are more for process or chemical plants.

Thanks Ranger

Josip
31-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi, RANGER1 :)

Has anyone worked on or overhauled a Howden WRV series with 5.8 Vi
plates in them ?

Are they very common in industry?

I was working with one WRViH 255/1.93/5.8 one stage driven with the small motor of 1000 kW .... for refrigeration with propane with ball thrust bearings .... but not serviced and not overhauled this type .... must be the same like other models ...

.... are you asking about tilting pad thrust bearings .... as I know only Howden 510 has as standard tilting pad .... but I've been told they are very good and last longer then standard ball thrust bearings... but I do not know...

... common in industry? ...... as per my experience depending on duty ... process compressor or refrigeration compressor ....

... in 2006. overhauled two machines (H255/16536) in chemical factory where they use dry gas in process ... propylene oxide very prone to explosion ;) process gas and lubrication oil are in separate circuit ... need to use very expensive seals to separate them .... all is very expensive and of course then you need a timing gear too, because screws are not in contact and gear box to increase speed of EM .... with tilting pad thrust bearings...

... also that type of compressor (oil free) is used with hydrogen&hydrocarbons, air for sootblowing in copper mines, ammonia for melamine plant ... air for dry dock, and other oil free gasses ....

in refrigeration use all is more simple ... oil and gas in the same circuit ... and we in-between ;) agree?

Best regards, Josip :)

RANGER1
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
josip,
Thanks for reply, 5.8 Howden machines are different to standard in the Vi port.

Standard casting cannot accomodate 5.8 Vi so they instal steel plates with 5.8 port in it.
Rotors are machined shorter by approx 12mm as Vi plates are approx 12mm.
Plates are screwed in similar to Grasso & Sabroe 202 etc.

Because Howden macine rotors shorter they obviously loose a bit of capacity.

Basically interested in anyones experience with them, if they have any!

salamander
02-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I worked on a Howden with plates, but it wasn't 5.8 Vi. I'll try to dig up the details and pictures.

RANGER1
02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks salamander

Gerben
02-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Hello Ranger,

except for the steel plates, the compressor is simmilar (gaskets, seal etc) to the common models.
Slide used is a 5.0 type.

Gerben