PDA

View Full Version : ASTP Carrier Gemini heatpump problem

jrtomlin
10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I am having problems with with my compressor unloading for no apparent reason other than possibly a faulty bi-metal disc inside my Copeland scroll compressor (38ARQ) Here's the stats.

outside air temp 67 f
suction presser 55psi
high side 200
discharge air temp 57 f
amp draw 18.5, 20,18.5
refrig R-22
customer wants 68 f consent. (server room)
system has ecomonizer/compressorlockout
5 ton

I had this condenser unit installed last spring 4/10 and been running very well until recently 7/11 I noticed it wasn't putting out cold air. Upon inspection I noticed the condenser was running with compressor and fans on. My initial guess was a broken valve. At this time I did not know about ASTP. So apparently when the compressor's internal temp reaches 300 f the scroll elements unloads while running. I shut down the unit for 1 hr per instructions. I started it up and it ran good for about 24 hrs. My coils are clean and filters are replaced ,we don't have power flex problems. So I'm not sure what to do next. Perhaps I'm not understanding whats happening.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Peter_1
10-07-2011, 06:20 PM
You forgot to give and to measure the most important readings for this phenomena: SH and discharge temperatures...especially with R22

jrtomlin
11-07-2011, 05:08 AM
Wow that was really helpful. Thanks for your demoralizing comments.

mad fridgie
11-07-2011, 05:34 AM
I would say it is getting hot, but it would be nice to see suction and discharge temps to confirm this, or not.

Peter_1
11-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Wow that was really helpful. Thanks for your demoralizing comments.

Perhaps, but you see MadFridgie asks exactly the same. You analyzed this not far enough, certainly not in the right direction

jrtomlin
12-07-2011, 08:28 AM
I'll be getting more data tomorrow.I did forget to mention my superheat which is 17 f. I keep thinking low charge.Slow leak somewhere? I do have over 30' of new line set put in. I don't know. Hopefully I get this figuired out by tomorrow.