PDA

View Full Version : expansion valve where is it and how u set it ?

comet240
26-05-2011, 05:16 AM
hi i have old stoelting series 3000 milk shake machine retrofitted to do soft serve ice cream now problem is doesnt get cold enough

got told to set the expansion valve to 18psi on the end cycle when the ice cream is done but i dont see one on here cuz i was changing the one thats set for 61psi its the big nob and i had my gauges set i turned it for more cooling and got it down to 28psi and went to -5 but i got told thats the wrong valve????

i have you tube video maybe someone can tell me if i doing it right or where i put my gauges or is there another valve to adjust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtY3ui2U0bk

taz24
26-05-2011, 05:20 PM
hi i have old stoelting series 3000 milk shake machine retrofitted to do soft serve ice cream now problem is doesnt get cold enough

got told to set the expansion valve to 18psi on the end cycle when the ice cream is done but i dont see one on here cuz i was changing the one thats set for 61psi its the big nob and i had my gauges set i turned it for more cooling and got it down to 28psi and went to -5 but i got told thats the wrong valve????

i have you tube video maybe someone can tell me if i doing it right or where i put my gauges or is there another valve to adjust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtY3ui2U0bk

I think in the intrest of your own safety, the safety of others and the equipments safety
you put your tools back in the toolbox and go to school or college.

Sorry to sound harsh but you are not ready to do this and you will (maybe already have) cause
more damage and harm than you can know.

Oh and by the way, whoever advised you to adjust the Expansion valve does not know what
they are doing either. Valves do not need adjusting.

taz

Brian_UK
26-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh and by the way, whoever advised you to adjust the Expansion valve does not know what
they are doing either. Valves do not need adjusting.Taz, some ice cream machines do adjust a valve, not always an expansion valve though. Have seen some that regulated a bypass or hot gas valve so I suppose anything is possible.

I would question whether that is the right pressure tapping though.

OP, what temperature are you aiming for anyway, saying you got -5 doesn't mean a lot on it's own. Is that °F or °C?

taz24
26-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Taz, some ice cream machines do adjust a valve, not always an expansion valve though. Have seen some that regulated a bypass or hot gas valve so I suppose anything is possible.

Ahhhhh ok then..........
Every day is a learning day :o
I'm never too old to learn and it has been a long, long time since I worked on a
Mister Softy machine. In fact they were bolted into ice cream vans at the time ;)

All the best

taz.

comet240
27-05-2011, 09:21 AM
at current setting where ice cream machine is running at 61psi it also says unlock the set screw nut then screw it CW for less cooling and CCW for more cooling but i not sure how how far the screw can go, i get it down to 28psi but i was told i need to hit 18psi end cycle and it only hits -4C it can run all day -4 supposed to be able to get to -10C it will get down to -5 if i set it to 28psi and the guy that told me has over 20 yrs experience refrigeration from the stoelting company, plus no one in my area does ice cream machines just heatin and air conditioning