PDA

View Full Version : Osborne bottle cooler fans

monkey spanners
19-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Has anybody had to reverse the rotation of new motors before fitting them on these?

Had a look at a bottle cooler and found both the condenser fans seized up so ordered some new ones. They are the open frame style shaded pole motors with the small plastic fans that just push on.

When i went to fit them i noticed the old fans terminals were on the right but the new ones were on the left, also the copper shading in the stator was on the opposite side to the old ones, but as the old motors were both siezed i couldn't tell which way they are meant to turn.

Phoned Osborne and they said that the motors should turn the correct way as supplied but also that they should suck through the condenser.

Had a look at the blade and for them to suck i had to reverse the motors, which is what i did and checked that the airflow was correct by seeing if a sheet of paper would be sucked onto the condenser, which it did.

Jon :o

sedgy
19-04-2011, 07:52 PM
hey spanners how are you ? fan rotation ? will the fan moter strip down? and re- assemble running the opposite way?, can you see which way the fan blades are shaped to say they where blowing or sucking ?
just a quick thought . sedgy .

monkey spanners
19-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Sedgy,

It was this style of motor,

http://www.aosmithepc.co.uk/online/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&cPath=7_13&products_id=11

To reverse the rotation you just undo the bearing caps and swap the rotor round the other way and it'll run the opposite rotation. You can do it with the enclosed shaded pole motors too but it might need a new hole making for the flex.

It was the blade that made me wonder as if i left it as it came out the box i couldn't see how it would move any air!

On the invoice that came later it said something like 'new style' motor, so maybe the guy i spoke to in technical wasn't aware of the change in spec.

Jon :)

mikeref
20-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Hey Jon, I Work with reversable shaded pole motors. So long as the configeration is the same as the motor removed, then it will run the same direction. NO DRAMA FARMER.;).

monkey spanners
20-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Its been running over a week and no problems, i was just curious if anyone else had had the same problems with these replacement motors.

Jon :)