PDA

View Full Version : air damper motors and economy cycles

Pauly.
20-03-2011, 03:13 AM
hi people, ive recently taken over a commercial club contract, the site has roof top packages and splits from 18kW to 180kw in power, the systems each have fresh air dampers and return air dampers controlled by landis and gyr damper motors (no longer in commission the dampers are currently fixed in position). the plan is to refitt new damper motors to existing dampers and run new cables to a control device to allow an ecomony cycle when possible. The units are not controlled by a building bms. Any advise on what gear to use would be appreciated

Tesla
20-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Hi Pauly
In Ausie we would use Belimo actuators as they are much cheaper and reliable. Even the big BMS companies use them here. As for a controller my advise would be one that is common and mechanical techs are familiar with - maybe like carrel, emmerson or something depends on where you are.

goshen
20-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi
as stated above ,belimo acutuators are highly recommended,very reliable!!,or siemens.
and if you have a siemens rep ,you can try and use rlu controllers, or any other stand alone controller with the capability to work a economizer system,
good luck

Pauly.
20-03-2011, 08:47 AM
thanks heaps for replies lads, wher would i start to find wiring diagrams, other technical data, etc for this job online. thanks again.pauly

Tesla
20-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Pauly just punch in on a google search for belimo and siemens then go to products/actuators and you will find what is in your region ie .com.au/, .com . that will go for the actuator, as for the controller let us know where you are (country) then we could point you to the most common known controllers. The actuators will work with almost any controller usually with a 0 - 10 VDC signal and 24 VAC power supply.

Brian_UK
20-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Some help here from the Honeywell guides...
http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/63-0000s/63-8594.pdf

Pauly.
21-03-2011, 07:06 AM
thanks again guys i,ve found some useful information using a google search belimo has some great tech information on their site , thanks telsa, and yep i live in Australia on the central coast around 100kms from sydney. Today i was faced with a challenge: 2 * lennox packages (consisting of 21kw cooling and 31kw gas furnace each). the units are to be installed to service an outdoor pokies area to allow for smokers. The area basically has had the end walls taken off it and converted to hi tencile fly screen , glass dividers installed to make the inside of the club, if you could imagine.This is where it gets more interesting (for my simple mind anyway)the units are to share a common return air incorporating the use of an air to air heat exchanger and an exaughst fan. The heat exchanger has the apparnt ability to exchange 70% of the energy from expelled conditioned smoke laiden air to clean fresh air. Please explain to me what and add on air to air heat exchanger and how it works?

Tesla
21-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Pauly
It's a small world I live and work 100kms south of you. Now I know where you are I would only recommend you use Belimo as they will beat Honeywell by half the price usually.
The heat exchanger is simple - it will take the return air from the smokers area and fresh air passing them together with a thin material so as the heat (in cooling mode) will transfer from the outside air to the return air which will be expelled then that outside air now becomes the return air. The fresh air is now cooled and will be introduced to the AHU, then vise versa for heating mode. These heat exchangers are becoming more common in Queensland for classrooms cutting the costs by upto 50% for cooling

Brian_UK
21-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Do you know what sort of material they use for the heat exchangers? Knowing that the air will be well contaminated I would be interested to know how they get around that problem.

Do they include an electrostatic filter??

yinmorrison
21-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Need to move to Oz now to get a beer and a pint inside:D

Tesla
22-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Do you know what sort of material they use for the heat exchangers? Knowing that the air will be well contaminated I would be interested to know how they get around that problem.

Do they include an electrostatic filter??
Hi Brian
This manufacturer uses polypropylene or aluminum for the media http://www.air2energy.com.au/exchangers.html but I'm sure there is a better one - I just can't find the data right now. As with any heat exchanger there should be a filter upstream fitted.
I haven't seen any new electrostatic filters - the newest one I've seen is about 35 years old and not running on a big AHU.