PDA

View Full Version : psc to csr

Andy AC
25-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi guys, can I convert a psc compressor to a csr? I have a new start/relay /cap box for another l'unite comp. The comp is a AJ5512E. I wasn't paying attention when I ordered it, and as it's going on a cellar cooler with exp. valve, it'll need cap start.
Or have I mucked up?:o

Andy

mikeref
26-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Andy, that compressor should come with it's own electrical box and wiring instructions so it should be straight forward. Just have to mark the cables for fan/solenoid/thermostat/defrost timer and so on. Thinking about it... compressors of that size usually have the box pre-wired, and in Australia, they supply the lead as well...Mike.

Andy AC
26-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Mike, the box I have got is pre wired, so no wiring issues. I was wondering whether the difference between the psc and csr was just the starting gear, surely the compressors are the same whatever flavour (psc,csr)they may be? Nothing in this game suprises me though.

Andy

littleyapper
26-02-2011, 11:44 AM
yes its purely the starting gear... we would class that as an ac comp (r22)
and you will be fine with the gear you got with it....

chemi-cool
26-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Its just a matter of different wiring, nothing else changes.

Make sure you connect the thermostat to the starting relay coil.

monkey spanners
26-02-2011, 02:53 PM
The 15uf run cap is the same with both types, its just an additional relay and a 21uf start cap for the csr version.

I have had to fit csr electrics on a cellar cooler after we swapped the cap tube to a txv due to a blockage, has been fine since.

Jon :)

Magoo
26-02-2011, 10:43 PM
From memory that compressor is an air con R 22 compressor so would need a high torque start kit, with start and run capacitors.

Andy AC
27-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys, sytem worked ok, but need to go back and change the start cap, didn't have a 21uf cap, had to re use the 30uf from the original comp. All of my other start caps are 80-90uf, 21uf seems a bit low for a start cap, but what do I know.

Andy

monkey spanners
27-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys, sytem worked ok, but need to go back and change the start cap, didn't have a 21uf cap, had to re use the 30uf from the original comp. All of my other start caps are 80-90uf, 21uf seems a bit low for a start cap, but what do I know.

Andy

I just looked up the spare parts list for that comp in the climate center book! Might be worth giving Victor Ballard or Peter Bell a call in their tech dept to check its not a misprint.

Jon :)

mikeref
27-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Andy
What? 21uf START cap? I don't recall any compressors with start caps that low. Run caps here are 15/20 and up to 30, but Start caps anywhere from 43-64, 88-108 and values like that up to say, 296uf. This on 240volt but feel free to correct me if other areas apart from my small territory in Aus do things differently.. Mike.:confused: