PDA

View Full Version : I have two questions in one about servecing

jakabus
16-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I have asked this so that i will be able to have more knowledge about how to do a propper service. this is a basic service for a truck, ute or van.

1) put gauges on
2) check sight glass (check if there is the right amount of refrigerant in the system)
3) check belts, compressor, fans, pressures ect... to see there all working fine
4) replace what doesn't work while reclaiming or pump down
6) check oriface and change drier last
7) vac as long as possible
8)charge via sight glass! and run down

would this be an exceptable service? if not please let me know the RIGHT way.
what other ways are there to check a system is full of gas? also includes charging by sight glass because woun't the temperature of the day play an effect?

I use to use a PT chart but now im under a new trady im not aloud too. I do not trust that the way the new trady is teaching me is correct.

Brian_UK
16-02-2011, 07:40 PM
No. 1, Don't put gauges on unless you need to, start with air off temperature to find out if the unit is working.

No. 7, Vacuum to a Torr reading not by time.

No. 8, Charge by weight if known.

Use of PT chart is part of your expertise; your new trady doesn't understand the PT chart it seems. ;)

charlie patt
16-02-2011, 08:04 PM
with a van cooling system there are usually different graded services on the fridge unit .ie mileage and age you will have to allow for ilder pulleys is it a electric or gen or donkey system ie is there shafts to grease, when chargeing by glass does it have fan speed control on condensor... does it have standby? ie rec packs and overloads to check. if you want to go to the exact wording get a carrier owners book its all listed on the service page if its a car ac always treat the evaps the customers love the smell