PDA

View Full Version : Best retrofit option for old leaky R-22 supermarket rack system

gelidusoptimus
11-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Hi fellow techs. I´m posting a thread for the first time.
The owners of a 13-year-old R-22 low temperature supermarket rack system are considering the replacement of the main air cooled condenser due to extensive corrosion damage. They´ve asked me to get quotations for a similar condenser. The problem is that most manufacturers do not provide new R-22 condensers anymore.I´ve been doing a lot of research and found that for low temp systems, R-404A is an options.
Does anyone has performed such a retrofit before? I´ve been reading that in addition to the system flushing, mineral oil replacement, and drier core change, it might be necessary to replace TXVs, hand valves, solenoid valves and even Shraeder cores. Is really all of this necessary ?
Best regards.

Tesla
11-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Hi gelidusoptimus and welcome to our forum
Considering the age of the low temp rack system it could be considered for total replacement. Take into account that R22 will be harder to buy as time goes on and the total life cycle cost of replacement to refit. If the customer is bent on just replacing the condenser there are a few coil manufacturers that will build and freight you one. Of course for reliability you would need to replace the components you mention above and then some. I am not so familiar with R404a racks so I will leave that for the experts to comment on. But please do a full total life cycle cost analysis for comparison of the upgrade including taking into account the rising energy costs.

mikeref
11-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Is it an open drive compressor? Good practice to replace TX valves and mineral oil has to go. Should have an oil seperator on board and suction accumulator. I preferre R507 but thats up to you. Follow up with another oil replacement on compressor after a few days running... Mike.