PDA

View Full Version : accident at work..

Krups
01-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I have been given the gift of time...:)
on tuesday 30/08/05 at approx 1pm, i came crashin down on a pile of duct work and the steps that were keepin me...:eek:
bruised some ribs and broke my left hand wrist in a few places...:o
1st time iv broke anything...was quite an experience...:rolleyes:

i guess i should b thankful as it could have been alot worse..least i didnt bang my head or my right hand...
but i have been geting back pain since yesterday...:confused:
lets see what the hospital say 2moro...

frank
01-09-2005, 07:25 PM
least i didnt bang my head or my right hand...

Quite right Krupps - a man NEEDS his right hand :D

Did you do anything outside of your method statement?

What caused the accident?

Krups
01-09-2005, 10:08 PM
lol yep considerin am right handed ;)
Method statement ? u must b jokin...iv never once been shown or told how to implement 1 of those..
basically i was drillin a core hole through a wall, which as i believe was sposed 2 b done by the builders....
and god knows how but the steps went 1 way n i went down...i was leaning onto 1 side bt not enough that i felt the steps would go...

Brian_UK
01-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Take it easy; make sure that a full accident report has been logged. Try and write down everything that you can remember about the accident while it is still fresh in your mind, you never know whether you will need it or not.

Argus
02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Take it easy; make sure that a full accident report has been logged. Try and write down everything that you can remember about the accident while it is still fresh in your mind, you never know whether you will need it or not.

Brian?s right. There are H&S rules about working at heights that everyone scoffs at, but you?ve just found out the hard way.

There may be repercussions for your own health and mobility that are not apparent yet. In your own interests, you must do a few things.

1. Examine and photograph the accident site and the ladder. If the ladder had a defect that caused the fall, make sure that it is not disposed of.
2. Make sure that it?s in the firm?s accident book. Your firm has an obligation to do this.
3. If you are off work more than 3 days, you or your firm must complete an accident report form for the HSE. A formality, but a legal requirement. You can do it on line.

Good luck, get well soon.

________
buy herbalaire (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/herbalaire/)

Krups
02-09-2005, 10:52 AM
thnx...advice is noted

Temprite
02-09-2005, 12:32 PM
While we are on the subject of accidents. I thought I might as well add my 2 cents worth.

While pressure testing a system with dry nitrogen three days ago had the sight glass in the gauges explode in my face.

Strange considering The regulator only allows about 400 psi max through it.

Had plenty of blood flowing from a gash in my lip after that.

Cause we were up on the roof and had nothing there to stop blood pouring from my mouth, our apprentice threw me his beanie which soon ended up a red beanie.

After cleaning my face up it actually looked far worse than what it was.

Could have been far worse though....

Abe
02-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Krupps

Sorry to hear about your accident
Are you still with the same company?

All I can say, I know youre keen and we have noted that eversince you first started posting here

But, you need to evaluate health and safety issues, I know you had a moan about lack of benefits, sick pay, etc

But, health is a different issue entirely. You cannot replace a limb..........and a bad back.......

I would refuse to work in an environment where proper scaffolding and safety gear is not in place.

I know youre young, and need the cash, and want to work, but not at the expense of your future health and well being.

Give it some thought

chemi-cool
02-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi Krups.
Look where you're going.

Do you hold the pint with your right hand?

Keep some eye drops with you so you see where you go:D
Take care mate, The summer is not over yet.

Chemi:)

frank
02-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Report your accident here http://www.riddor.gov.uk/reportanincident.html

Brian_UK
03-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Report your accident here http://www.riddor.gov.uk/reportanincident.html Good link Frank, thanks.

Make note to self:- 'must spend more time looking for these things'.

botrous
04-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Hope you get well soon Krups , be careful next time , nothing can be a reward for a long term back pain , so be careful

Krups
05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
thnx guys 4 all ur help...
iv learnt the hard way...
should have refused 2 work without scaffolding being set up...

Abe
05-09-2005, 09:55 PM
thnx guys 4 all ur help...
iv learnt the hard way...
should have refused 2 work without scaffolding being set up...

Yes you should have , but then how is the business going to sell stuff on the cheap then ??? and cut everyone the way they do???

Jase
10-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Always remember. Safety is paramount

Jase

Krups
13-10-2005, 02:26 PM
just a quick update...
been off work 6 weeks now, after 1 week the boss wanted me 2 go back saying, its costing him more without me there...dnt knw what he meant as he pays me peanuts, and iv nt even been given full sick pay...
cant say im surprised....

the cast came off today, and the dr recommends i take 1 more week off 2 get some flexibility back in my arm...
but im struggling now without the money....
and its putting strain on my work relations..
ie dnt think boss would be happy if i said i need another week off....

thinking i might go back on mon, and just take it very easy...
hmmm...

chemi-cool
13-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Krups.

Why on earth don't you go on your own?

There is so much work out there, why to share your profits with a boss?

Look at all the self employed people out here, hard work but rewarding.

Think about it!

Chemie:)

Krups
13-10-2005, 03:42 PM
few reasons really, id prefer to, get more on the job training and exp with some1 whos been in the game for awhile, and is willing 2 teach me.....
as iv only been working in the trade for a year now...i can say i can do most a/c tasks but nt enough to go compently s/e .....
i wouldnt wana go and be a cowboy ...

another point is...its very difficult to compete with other bigger and longer established companies, as 1)they've been around longer...
2)they can offer jobs much cheaper simply by way of buying power etc...

also id need enough money to get my own van + liability insurances etc/ and advertising and other start up costs...

but all that aside....that was my original aim when i started geting into all this....to be my own boss.....
just wana do things properly...

Krups
13-10-2005, 03:44 PM
all advice is much appreciated as im still kinda young, and dont have much sense of direction ...
as one day i feel like giving it all up altogether, and the next, looking for another job with another company, then the next just diving in at the deep end and going s/e!

chemi-cool
13-10-2005, 03:45 PM
OK then,
good luck.

Chemi:)

Krups
13-10-2005, 05:03 PM
cheers and thanks again
(sorry wouldnt let me write less than 10 characters lol)

frank
13-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi Krups

Why haven't you been paid what is legally due? have you reported this to the social security? Any monies paid to you by the employer is recovered from the government under the paye scheme.

Grass 'em up man, they've got more than you.

It really annoys me when I hear that employers are not doing what is right.

If your doctor has told you to have one further week off work to fully heal the arm then take it. A sick note cannot be ignored by your boss.

If you go back too early and you break it again you will end up having more than 6 weeks off, and, maybe further surgery to repair the new fracture. :eek:

They have managed without you this long another week will not send them bust. The most precious thing in life is your health.

Karl Hofmann
13-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Don't let your gaffer push you in to going back to work to early, there will be plenty of time to go to work on your death bed when you work for your self ;) Plenty of employers try to bully their staff in to going to work when they are not fit, the company that my wife works for tried it with her. Funny but almost a quater of her office went down with Chicken Pox that she had spread round, hmm cant see the saving there :D

Krups
13-10-2005, 10:51 PM
lol true.....all i get is ssp...
thats it...
and i think i will take the full week off then :)
ur right, they've managed this long..
so am sure they wont miss me thaaaaaat much