PDA

View Full Version : Pour a pad or bolt it to the floor?

Sleigher
31-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi All,
I am installing a Howden package. It is 200 HP and weighs 7000 lbs.
I am trying to decide if I need to pour a pad or if I will be fine with just bolting it to the floor.
The existing floor is 7" thick. It also has footings about every 7'. The footings were for an evap condenser that was previously in that spot.
The package is not long enough to straddle two of the footings. If it was I would just anchor into the footings which are much thicker.
In my other engine rooms I have compressors that are mounted flat on the floor and some that are on pads.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P

Magoo
01-02-2011, 02:18 AM
I usually put compressors sets on a plinth about 600mm high mainly because is easier to work on.
Compressor packages bolt to floor with large chemset bolts, but make sure you shim hold down points before tightning down, so as to not stress frame and vessels and create alignment issues

charlie n
01-02-2011, 07:11 AM
A structural engineer should check your foundation. Other than that, plinths (pads) are usually a waste of money for a large screw pack. It weighs almost 3.5 tons it's not going anywhere! I prefer to mount on vibration isolators with an integrated rubber base. this lifts the skid 50 or 60mm for cleaning under it & isolates some of the sound transmission to the building.