PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this for ice?

Johnny Rod
08-08-2005, 11:50 AM
http://www.highsidechem.com/thawzn.html

Anybody used this before?

botrous
08-08-2005, 12:13 PM
I tried it . . . and i didn't detect any difference in the system , still the best way to get the moisture out of a system is vaccum (at least i consider it the best)

US Iceman
08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Dear Johnny Rod,

I have used this product in a supermarket application. When I used to do service work I ran across this job which had a lot of water in the medium temp. system. High capacity cores for water removal did not work fast enough. The owner did not want to shut the system down to evacuate the system (w/ a deep vacuum), so I was faced with doing something online.

I used this product and the problem started to disappear overnight. After the moisture indicator started to turn dry and stayed there I changed the suction and liquid filter-drier cores to the high acid cores. Acid was not present according to an acid test kit, but I wanted to be sure that anything strange might be prevented.

After the initial mess was cleaned up, I continued to work on this system for several years afterward. No noticable problems...

That is the only time I used this product, but from my experience with it I had excellent results.

By the way... This was a R-12 system. I have no idea of what to expect with the new refrigerants, or especially the oils.

Based on the probelms I have heard about with the new oils, I would only use this as a last resort. I have gotten cautious in my "old age" and know from past experience whoever touches the system last becomes responsible for all of the probelms. Perceived or real.

Not a very strong endorsement, but this is only my opinion.

Best of luck with the problem.

US Iceman

wesmax
09-08-2005, 04:38 AM
i used it years ago and had good luck with it
wesmax

Steve Wright
09-09-2005, 12:50 AM
I used on R-22 Chiller after a chiller barrel rupture, after much evacuation, heat lamps, and drier change still had some residual moisture left.

Installed thawzone, took care of problem.

18 months and several oil analysis system moisture free and good oil.

Like US Iceman said I'd be leery of new refrigerants and oils

wesmax
09-09-2005, 04:56 AM
thank you it brings back memories but the old refrigerants were good ones
wesmax

Stav
09-09-2005, 09:27 AM
as an engineer who is relatively new to the game I'm interested to find out about this product. I never knew such addatives existed. Also, I don't know too much about the old refrigerants, other than R12 was about the most stable gas you could use. Seems a pity that our industry should be made to change to less suitable refrigerants due to hairspray and deoderant manufacturers acting irresponsibly.

wesmax
10-09-2005, 04:28 AM
another additive i have used years ago was supco 88 you add to oil to give more lubricity it works well.if there is anything i can help you with just let me know.
wes max