PDA

View Full Version : defrost timer

jlawtech
02-11-2010, 02:16 PM
got a new defrost timer with no schematic......all would be good for it is the same pin config as old one but...prob is upon pulling old one out the spade pins were so burnt and mutilated that was unable to diagnose two of the pin location ie: 234 1 .....cannot determine whether compressor wire was going to either 3 or 4 ....waiting for schematic from westinghouse or invensys which was the generic timer i bought ...juast thought i would see how quick a reply would be ?any help would be appreciated....

chilliwilly
02-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Cycle the timer with just the power connected to it, and see which pins switch over from the common pins. If you can't find the power pin connections you will have to physically trace the wiring back to the motor, or see which two pins give a resistance reading on your meter.

When you have sussed the pin configuration you should be able to work what connects where, ie termination stat, sol valve/ heater, compressor etc.

Hope this helps.

jlawtech
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
cheers....was being a bit lazy...will have a scout about....thanks for info...

mikeref
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
got a new defrost timer with no schematic......all would be good for it is the same pin config as old one but...prob is upon pulling old one out the spade pins were so burnt and mutilated that was unable to diagnose two of the pin location ie: 234 1 .....cannot determine whether compressor wire was going to either 3 or 4 ....waiting for schematic from westinghouse or invensys which was the generic timer i bought ...juast thought i would see how quick a reply would be ?any help would be appreciated....
This is a little late however #3 is power in, #4 is compressor, #2 is defrost and #1 for neutral.. mike.

jlawtech
02-11-2010, 11:28 PM
This is a little late however #3 is power in, #4 is compressor, #2 is defrost and #1 for neutral.. mike.
cheers mike.....more a electronics tech than white goods wish i got your message last night.... all good though got a better understanding of the complete set up...my workshop now has cold grub and piss

jlawtech
02-11-2010, 11:48 PM
hey mike...there shouldn't be any heat coming from the defrost timer ....should there? ......if i hold it for a while i can feel internal heat...its manually functioning fine though

mikeref
03-11-2010, 02:17 AM
hey mike...there shouldn't be any heat coming from the defrost timer ....should there? ......if i hold it for a while i can feel internal heat...its manually functioning fine though
These defrost timers can be from different manufacturers, so some are all white plastic with a viewing port at the back so you can see the motor is running, and they run only just warm. Others are black with a round metal cover over the motor, with a larger view port and they do run warm.. What i missed in my last post was the neutral leg is for the timer motor circuit, but i guess you worked that out. cheers, mike..:)

jlawtech
03-11-2010, 04:06 AM
These defrost timers can be from different manufacturers, so some are all white plastic with a viewing port at the back so you can see the motor is running, and they run only just warm. Others are black with a round metal cover over the motor, with a larger view port and they do run warm.. What i missed in my last post was the neutral leg is for the timer motor circuit, but i guess you worked that out. cheers, mike..:)

thanks......was just a little concerned since old timer was melted .....wasn't sure whether i was feeling the start of a melt down again ...but hasn't got any hotter and yes is pretty much just warm....thanks again for info